• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Just wanted to share some personal good news, sorry

Foah

Troubadour
Some three years ago I took up studying again, after a nearly five year long stretch of working low paid jobs since high school. As I got back into the student life, my hobby as a writer had to make due with being in the back seat, letting the new student lifestyle ride shotgun and make the calls. So for the past three years I've barely completed the first draft for my first novel.

That's the back story. The future was supposed to hold, with my two completed years of studying architecture, another three years of architecture school, two years of spread internship time inbetween the studying, and another three years of working for experience before I had plans to start my own firm, work my own set hours, and finally make time to pick up writing as a serious hobby again. Planning to be able to start writing with comfortable surroundings eight years from now didn't always feel great. It goes without saying that writing would definitely get done at times during these eight years. Still.

Anyway. Came last week, an opportunity found itself my way. As from another place entirely, I was approached by one of my professors at uni while doing some summer tidying-up-for-pocket-cash. And what he approached me with was a name and a number. A colleague he said, a friend, who needed an architect for a project. Baffled, as I barely have 2 years of experience (which I personally think's worth squat), I took the name and number.

The man turned out to be someone you'd refer to as a friend in higher places, should you be his friend. Sitting on more boards of building and construction companies than the fingers on your hand, and several hands in the dealing of companies in all things architecture. To make this part shorter, the guy had work that needed an architect, and lots of it.

I did well during a first 1h interview with him, landed a gig for sketch drawings for $1k that takes 2-3 days to do, and if things go well next week, well. I could, by incredible chance, have made way for myself to fastforward eight years to a time and place where I run my own successful architecture firm--making $100/h and allowing myself the peace of mind and time to start writing again.

I do apologize for the unstructured and poorly thought out info dump that this post is, but I HAD TO SHARE THIS with my writing circle, that I consider MS to be despite my lacking activity in recent times. I couldn't be happier, and I' m eager to revisit these forums more often in the near future!

misprinted

Dreamer
That's amazing, Foah! Congrats!

I definitely know what it's like to be in that crappy post-student job slump, but sometimes things do find a way to work themselves out. :)

Foah

Troubadour
That's amazing, Foah! Congrats!

I definitely know what it's like to be in that crappy post-student job slump, but sometimes things do find a way to work themselves out. :)

Thank you!

Job slumps pre and post studies sure are scary. Been stuck doing 10h days for $4,50/h at times, so it's nice to catch a big break :)

:D

Fortune didn't just smile on you, she grinned!

:D