• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Killing a BBEG made of fog?

ThereBeDwagons

I'm writing a Choose Your Own Adventure / PickAPath story and one of the plotlines involves the player having to kill a magical creature made of fog. It's a low magic high fantasy setting. This fog monster is near the top of the power tree.
I've thought of things like; trying to contain it using something airtight (eg ice, water, a boat's sails), magic weapon (too obvious), disperse/control it with strong winds (can't think of a clever way to enable this)[now that I type this, I wonder about a Control Weather type spell - maybe earn the favour of a powerful druid first].

Just wondering if you had any neat ideas you'd try if you had to kill a creature made of fog? Swinging a sword at it does seemingly nothing.

Another question if I may - if tomorrow I have another plot questions like this, should I post them all under the same thread, or create a new thread?

Is the protagonist of the story ("you") supposed to be a magician, wizard, anything like that? Or just a normal person?

Could one of the earlier options include picking up a wind generating implement? That would be magic, but the magic would be in the implement, not the person; you might be able to use it even if you have no particular magical skill.You would just have to know how.

Then the choices when the reader is confronted with the fog monster could be, which setting do you pick on this implement (maybe they don't know which one generates the wind to disperse the fog). Or, which tool (assuming the reader has amassed several by now) do you use.

For that matter, you could use all of your ideas. Maybe the wrong choice on one page results in the dispersing option failing, but now there's an option to contain it, or to unleash a weather control spell that you happen to have in a jar (no need to earn the favor of a powerful druid, you just have it) or something like that.

ThereBeDwagons

The player will have a choice of standard character classes (warrior, wizard, cleric, rogue). There will be some class-specific variation in storylines, but probably not in this Fog Monster storyline eg the wizard's magic won't let them defeat it, they'll have to find a way like the other classes.

I'll think about working in a wind device. If it was a sea-based city that would be easy, but unfortunately this story is set atop a mountain/plateau city lol!

I do like the idea of combining or requiring multiple steps/actions.
Thanks for bouncing ideas off me :)

ThereBeDwagons

Maybe you could give this fog monster a power limit? Does it stay in fog form perpetually or is like a shifter of sorts?

It's always fog, but can form a solid shape to hit. When it does, you can hit it back. But even hitting it this way 100 times wouldn't kill it. It would just weaken it and stop its ability to form into solid (for a short while). Character would die first anyway.
I don't want this to be a creature defeated by brawn. There's enough of that.
It does have a "heart". I'm leaning towards having this permanently solid, and its weakness.

Toying with the idea of having the player lead the Fog Heart into somewhere airtight it can be trapped, eg a modified bank safe or massive wine barrel.
ty:)

I'll think about working in a wind device. If it was a sea-based city that would be easy, but unfortunately this story is set atop a mountain/plateau city lol!
Maybe the player steals a wind device (or finds one) made by an extra powerful wizard who figured out how to control the weather. Kind of like the Sorcerer's Stone and immortality. This would come earlier in the game, so they'd have it on hand when they encounter the fog monster.

A wizard in a mountain/plateau city might still want to raise winds, for reasons of his own. Maybe to fight fog monsters. Or foil an invasion attempt. Or something like that.

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
Very fine dusts and nets have been used to trap fog. Dust has been used to cloud-seed to make it rain and fine nets trap the moisture to be collected for irrigation. Maybe an impossibly fine "silk" cloak could be thrown over it. And Hey Presto! Instant puddle

Lynea

Sage
Yeah, to me it sounds like you would need a mage who is adept with wind magic, and a blunt weapon to pierce the heart while it's vulnerable. Swords and Sorcery! ;)

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Fill it with dust, which gets wet and clumpy, and breaks it up.

I too think wind is the most likely option. Could be its dense and floats low, so luring it over a pit may cause it to sink.