• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Kindle Countdown Deals

Hi everyone,

I haven't seen anything on this and it's relatively new, so I figured I'd let everyone know about it.

Members of KDP Select (Kindle exclusive authors) are now able to use "Kindle Countdown Deals" on their $2.99+ priced books.

Here is Amazon's page explaining it: Kindle Countdown Deals ([url]https://kdp.amazon.com/self-publishing/help?topicId=A3288N75MH14B8)[/URL]

Basically, your book(s) go on sale for a price you choose, and you can choose to have it incrementally increase back to full price (or just have it go back all up at once).

One especially nice thing is that you retain the higher royalty of $2.99. Also especially nice, is this is one of the only ways for indie authors to have a "sale price" on Amazon (although if you have a sale price on other sites Amazon will eventually catch up).

I think the best thing is that your book stays on the paid bestseller list and doesn't have to migrate between the paid and free bestseller list (obviously, if you're already a bestseller)

By "sale price", I mean, it lists the price of the book as a discount from the list price.

There's a bunch of limitations, but it's yet another marketing tool I think people will be able to use to their advantage if they decide to go Kindle exclusive. I personally do everything as Kindle exclusives at least for the first three months of their existence.

I'm trying it out presently with my more expensive math book (the only title I have currently that qualifies), and timing the second day of it with a free promotion of my cheaper math book, so I may have some data here in the next few days to share (although obviously it won't be fantasy data until my publication schedule finally catches up to my goals).

Quick note: Amazon will still charge you for download fees on your book when you decrease it to under $2.99. Depending on your book, this may lock out the 0.99 option. For me, it was just a surprise, but i could see content heavy books being too expensive

Well, I am trying it out right now since the select period for my book's running out and so far I've seen a real uptick in sales.

Going to be interesting to see if it is going to carry over once the book returns back to full price.

Well, I am trying it out right now since the select period for my book's running out and so far I've seen a real uptick in sales.

Going to be interesting to see if it is going to carry over once the book returns back to full price.

That's great! Is it fantasy?

I read that you can't do it within the last bit before your exclusivity runs out unless you auto-renew. I think there's a 30 day wait period between promotions too. AND, it locks out offering it free (although the fact that it only applies for $2.99 and up books probably means that most of those people aren't offering them free).

I noticed a slight increase, but I had just done a LARGE free promotion a few weeks ago so I think that factored into it. This time around the free promotion was only about 1/10 to 1/5 as big as usual. I usually do a Christmas promotion that is pretty successful (I guess all those people that get Kindles for Christmas!) so hopefully that will be enough of a break to get some more people. Also, I'll have more time to go to the usual free promotion advertising sites (many requiring 10 days ahead!). For me, this was more of just a trial run to see how it works.

Please share if you continue the trend after it goes back to normal.