• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Knowing when to start a new scene

Grimbold

Dreamer
I'm sorry if this is asked alot, but normally i'm okay with judging what is a scene and what isnt. But every now and then i get one when i am never sure if i should end it, in particular the short ones.

"A scene is a small event" is going to be no use aswell i'm afraid...If there is no 'clear' definition, should i just continue untill there is a clear point?

Rullenzar

Troubadour
Think it's safe to say that if it's very short and you feel like you don't know if you should end it or think you should add more, you need to scrap it. Maybe a rework is in the stars but usually it's just a scrap.

Shockley

Maester
Break down the purpose of the scene, and everything that can be taken from the scene that has some value to the story. Cram as much of that in as you can, and when you have crammed so much that nothing else will fit you have your scene.

Then, break out your editing pencil.

If it's superfluous, it's out. If it doesn't carry the action, it's out. If it changes the pace of the scene or seems stupid, it's out. Then, take what you have and stretch it over a basic rubric (such as rising, climax, falling, conclusion) and cut everything out that doesn't fit the rubric.

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team
There are two types of scenes. There are different labels for them, scenes and sequels, action and reaction, etc. For the sake of clairity lets call them action and reaction scenes.

In the action scene, the POV character has a goal in mind. The action scene is over when one of the four possible answers to whether the POV character achieves their goal is answered. The possible answers are Yes they achieve their goal, No they don't, Yes but things get worse, and No and things get worse. Yes without consequences is generally never used until the end. It's always one of the other three because once the POV character gets what they want, the tension in the story dissipates.

In a reaction scene, the POV character reacts to the consequences of their failure in the preceding action scene. First their's the emotional response, they then weigh their options of what to do next and think about the merits and consequences of each option, and finally they choose one of the options and that becomes the goal for the next action scene. Once this choice is made the reaction scene is over.

If you want more info google up scenes and sequels.

I'm with Penpilot, as far as the essence of scenes goes-- action and success/failure and things maybe getting worse, or else a decision.

But one key caveat: most scenes' "achieve the goal" are likely to be about a subgoal, so that leaves a lot of options where that step might be achieved but the grand goal is still out there, making it all the more important how many other factors got worse or better.

Then, when the scenes themselves divide can combine with that logic any number of ways. Yes the main cycle is reaction (and/or additional news to consider), evaluation, decision, action-- but how fast do they come at each other's heels? Reaction could be a whole scene of its own, or added in extra places in the cycle (eg pausing with the people you're fighting for to recommit). And we all know some of the best big scenes are several cycles of Change through "Plan B!" all crammed together.

(I also like stretching a scene after its events end: keep the camera on someone as they walk away, partly to React or Evaluate more, partly to show some environment-- or let him walk into an ambush.)

SeverinR

Vala
To me I think of a play,
if you have to change the scenery, thats a new scene.
If your walking of moving while doing it, its basically the treadmill scene, you are moving and scenery is changing but its really just the peoples actions while they are moving that make the scene.
If your scene is to short, think of something interesting to add or change the small incidents location so you can do more with the one scene, ie more then one small incident at once.
A story is life with the boring parts edited out.