1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

Kurt Vonnegut's Advice for Writers

Discussion in 'Writing Resources' started by Mythopoet, Sep 19, 2015.

1. Mythopoet

Mythopoet Auror

Kurt Vonnegut's 8 rules for writing with style / Boing Boing

I thought there was some really great advice in there. It's not just over simplified, grossly generalized "rules". (Only the article title says "rules" because clickbait.) He gives some really good, logical reasons for what he says and I think almost everyone could get something out of it.

This was my favorite part:

Svrtnsse and TheCatholicCrow like this.
  2. TheCatholicCrow

TheCatholicCrow Inkling

Ken Follet said somewhere (paraphrasing) - if the reader has to read a sentence twice, you're doing something wrong.

I can't speak for all readers ... but I thought it was an interesting way to approach writing. Lately (after a quick edit) I have been giving my writing to one of my sisters. If there's something that doesn't make sense to her then I KNOW there's an issue. (Another round of edits or two, then post for critiques).

I like the advice "Sound like Yourself". Many of these kinds of advice articles / excerpts are too broad and say things like "don't use words your reader won't know". And we (writers) thinking ourselves to be so much more clever and well read than our readers, decide to simplify and dumb ourselves down "for them". (more so in other genres) Sound like Yourself - as a "rule" hits the nail on the head. It's not confusing when people use "big" words (pragmatic, fortuitous, emphatically, etc.) but when writers use them incorrectly or try to force poetry into the text. As long as you sound like yourself - that isn't an issue.

Great advice. Not too vague and delivered succinctly.

Thanks for sharing it :)