• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Late introduction

Okay, this is very late, as I've already sort of established myself here (I'm already an "Auror", and I've been here for around a year :p*) but I never actually did an introduction thread. So...here it is! Hi, I'm S.T. Ockenner, a [beginning] Fantasy author who writes short stories and is currently working on a Sci-Fi novel. I enjoy writing humorous stories, and it comes naturally to me.

*I'm trying out the usage of "emojis" to add emotion to what I say, and soften things that may come across the wrong way. Don't worry, my books don't contain emojis, just words. Sometimes illustrations.

Carol

Scribe
Hello, I'm VERY new and easing myself into the fantasy world. Well, ok - dove head first and am flailing about, but I'm sure I'll find my feet.
Emojis are fun - and I would be fascinated to read a book that included emojis.....hmmmmm - that might be a fun read.
Nice to meet you :)

Hello, I'm VERY new and easing myself into the fantasy world. Well, ok - dove head first and am flailing about, but I'm sure I'll find my feet.
Emojis are fun - and I would be fascinated to read a book that included emojis.....hmmmmm - that might be a fun read.
Nice to meet you :)
Which Fantasy books have you read thus far?
I strongly recommend you read Terry Pratchett's Discworld Series.

Carol

Scribe
Which Fantasy books have you read thus far?
Over many years (40) and in no order: Garth Nix (Sabriel not the others) Trudi Canavan (Magician's Guild series), Stranger in a Strange Land (Heinlein - read to appease my OH who is a SciFi fan), Going Postal and loved it but for whatever reason, never read anymore Pratchett (that is being corrected as I have now ordered Colour of Magic), Game of Thrones, Man in the High Castle, Hitchhiker's Guide (all of them), Night Watch (Lukyanenko); Harry Potter, Twilight series, Hunger Games, Maze Runner (Dashner), Divergent series, Dark Materials (Pullman)....
I'm going to stop there as this just keeps going on, which is a surprise as I have never thought of myself as a fantasy reader. The evidence is clearly against me! Thank you for asking me that question. :)
I was a Bookseller for nearly 17 years (history doesn't pay) and because I ran the Children's Dept lots are Teen & YA.
I would appreciate recommendations though, apart from Sir Terry. Lovely man.

Colour of Magic
Just keep in mind that being his first book it's not his best. He needed a couple to really become the amazing author he is. It's not bad, but it's not great either.

You've listed a pretty wide range of fantasy novels. Others you could read are the Mistborn serries by Brandon Sanderson (he's probably the 'hottest' fantasy author at the moment). I found Robin Hobb great (especially the Farseer trilogy). If you want a very different writing style you could try the Prince of Nothing trilogy by R. Scott Baker. And if you want something fantastical with a lovely magic set in a wasteland without being gloomy post-apocaliptic you could try The Stone Mage and The Sea by Sean William (I think the trilogy is called the books of the change,

I would appreciate recommendations though,

Hey Carol, I'll throw a few your way. If you are open to YA, a few of these fall along the lines of that genre but I'd say they share nothing in common with each other except all contain well written characters, which are my one unending weakness. :) They also aren't strict fantasy in genre (not a dragon or elf in the bunch) because I've come to feel some of the best books I've read are those that dabble in the genre but don't immerse.

Darker Shade of Magic - VE Schwab
The Killing Moon - NK Jemisin
The Ten Thousand Doors of January - Alix Harrow
A Green and Ancient Light - Frederic Durbin
The Night Tiger - Yangsze Choo
The Library of Legends - Janie Chang
The Binding - Bridget Collins
Melmoth - Sarah Perry
The Unlicensed Magician - Kelly Barnhill
The Night Circus - Erin Morgenstern

Carol

Scribe
Just keep in mind that being his first book it's not his best. He needed a couple to really become the amazing author he is. It's not bad, but it's not great either.

You've listed a pretty wide range of fantasy novels. Others you could read are the Mistborn serries by Brandon Sanderson (he's probably the 'hottest' fantasy author at the moment). I found Robin Hobb great (especially the Farseer trilogy). If you want a very different writing style you could try the Prince of Nothing trilogy by R. Scott Baker. And if you want something fantastical with a lovely magic set in a wasteland without being gloomy post-apocaliptic you could try The Stone Mage and The Sea by Sean William (I think the trilogy is called the books of the change,

Thank you - I see a lot of reading in my future.... :)

Carol

Scribe
Hey Carol, I'll throw a few your way. If you are open to YA, a few of these fall along the lines of that genre but I'd say they share nothing in common with each other except all contain well written characters, which are my one unending weakness. :) They also aren't strict fantasy in genre (not a dragon or elf in the bunch) because I've come to feel some of the best books I've read are those that dabble in the genre but don't immerse.

Darker Shade of Magic - VE Schwab
The Killing Moon - NK Jemisin
The Ten Thousand Doors of January - Alix Harrow
A Green and Ancient Light - Frederic Durbin
The Night Tiger - Yangsze Choo
The Library of Legends - Janie Chang
The Binding - Bridget Collins
Melmoth - Sarah Perry
The Unlicensed Magician - Kelly Barnhill
The Night Circus - Erin Morgenstern
Thank you - Schwab and Morgenstern I've heard of before but not read anything. LOts and Lots of reading t do :)

Carol

Scribe
I think there is enough diversity among humans that those aren't necessary, except for the dragons; gotta have those!

Welcome back my old friend. ;)

Hello again! :) There is something very special about dragons - AND tonight I discovered a book I wanted to read about 10 years ago, but thought I'd stored it away in the attic (too many books, not enough house) : Temeraire by Naomi Novik. :love:
Happy days!(y)