• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Legendary Sidekick breaks through a brick wall. His voice cracks when he says, "hi."

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
My voice really would crack, too, since I'm home having a sick day due to some sort of throat-dwelling virus. Perhaps more than one!

Anyway, I figured now would be a good time to look into a writers' forum where I could seek and/or stumble upon advice in the areas of self- and traditional publishing, e-books, and online promotion (like the Haanta series blog--very nicely done!).

The reason I'm doing this now--I mean other than the fact that I'm home from work and my kids are napping--is that my brother was at the New York Comic Con a week and a half ago, and there he saw a total stranger carrying MY "Legendary Sidekick" book! That was exciting news to me since I've done absolutely nothing to promote the book since 2009 (the year that I did almost nothing to promote it). It just happened that I was sketching out ideas for the series earlier that week, so the timing couldn't have been better if I had planned it.

But enough about my book. I didn't promote it for the past twenty-five months, so why start now?

About me: I'm a teacher married to a woman from Hong Kong, I have two bilingual daughters (the two-year-old basically blends her English baby-talk with her Chinese-baby talk, but you really can tell the difference), and I've studied a few martial arts styles such as Shotokan Karate and Iaido. All of this tends to inspire my writing, making my work 99% fiction, 1% autobiography. I suppose that's true for all of us (other than the inaccurate percentages).

PS- A confession: When I first registered, I was asked how many heads a dog normally has, one or two. I wrote, "One. Cerberus has three. That is the only exception I am aware of."

I failed to register due to the incorrect answer. THAT was when it occurred to me that this was a security question. A security question is not a toy.

Last edited:
Welcome aboard. We've been in need of sidekicks to deliver exposition to, and to get into peril in order to be rescued at the last second by the square-jawed hero!

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
Somebody's gotta do it! Heroes don't look good unless we side... uh... hang on a sec. My shoelace is undone.

--and (GASP!) entangled in the threads of a conveyor belt leading to the car compactor! For the third time this week, I might add. Why does this keep happening? And why does Captain Squarejaw wait until the last second to save me? Is procrastination one of his superpow--

TO BE CONTINUED...

Ghost

Inkling
I'd be giddy if someone was carrying my (as yet nonexistent) book in public. It says, "Hey, I'm not embarrassed to be seen with Ouroboros' work."

Welcome to the forum! I like your sense of humor. :)

And Orthrus has two, but he's not exactly normal, ya know?

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
Two senses of humor? (Wikis "Orthrus") O-o-o-o-ohhhh... two heads! Well no wonder I got the random question wrong. It was a trick question!

I don't even know whether to say I forgot about Orthrus, or just never knew. Poor li'l pooch. I imagine he will eternally remain in Cerberus' shadow.

Unless...

Ghost

Inkling
Orthrus ought to have two senses of humor. I don't know how seriously a two-headed dog could take himself