• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Lock down your wallets everyone, it's the Christmas Steam Sale

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
What are you getting?

So far, I'm not too worried. I bought most of my games for the next few years at the summer sale and then a few more at the early December sale just a few weeks ago.

So far I've really only added a few games to my Wish List. I'm about to buy Electronic Super Joy though and will browse a bit to see if there's anything else around that I absolutely NEED! to have right now.

I feel like previous sales have spoiled me. Bioshock Infinite is $10, but I know it'll be $5 by next summer, and I'm not invested enough to spend the extra $5. (I do recommend Recettear, currently on a flash sale, probably going to be a daily deal later--$5 is a good price for it.)

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
I ended up getting:
Batman: Arkham Asylum Game of the Year Edition
Bit.Trip.Runner 2 + Soundtrack + Good Friends Character Pack
Electronic Super Joy
Tiny Thief
Knock-knock

All were in the "under 5 euro" category and I'll probably play most of them for at least a bit. You're right though. The sales do spoil you and if you're not that urgently in need of a game you might as well wait until it's up for even less (I got Recettear already).

Rinzei

Troubadour
Not much in this sale that I want or haven't already bought, to be honest. Hubby picked up Dust: An Elysian Tale and seems to like it though - all the environments and such were hand-painted so it's very pretty.

Nobby

Sage
Erm, hate to sound even more Fogeyish than I am, but hell with sales, buy UFO:enemy unknown (UK/Euro 90's) version from GoG or (if you are really lazily bitch-whipped) from Steam and use the data files with openxcom. Bad graphics, terrible writing, but by all that is good and true in gaming you will fear losing your trained men and women in battle against the alien horde :)

I got:

• Medieval II Total War (Complete Edition, includes the Kingdoms expansion) for €4,95.
  • Left 4 Dead 2 for the amazing price of €0,00
  • The Witcher II, Premium Edition for €17,00 - Didn't get this one on Steam (amazon). Got it two weeks ago but my new PC had a faulty PSU and now I'm stuck on my old laptop. So I'm waiting for the replacement part to actually play this one.

For those who wonder why I got L4D2 for free: it was available for free for one day. If you put it in your inventory, you got to keep it - which I did. I've heard it's great game and I look forward to playing it. For free!

Last edited:

Rinzei

Troubadour
I spoke too soon before - I did grab a few things:

• Left 4 Dead 2 - for free, as Abba-Al-Morim mentioned
  • Long Live The Queen - don't ask...
  • Papers, Please
  • Remember Me
  • The Secret World

I also bought Saints Row 4, Fallout New Vegas Ultimate Collection and The Secret World for my husband.

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
The one I played the most so far is Castle Story. It's about building a castle and defending it from bad guys. The interface is rather clunky, but once you get around that it's pretty cool for a bit. It's an early release though so it has some issues. It's also lacking story and purpose - but the little dudes are cute and the building the castle is pretty fun.

I spoke too soon before - I did grab a few things:

• Left 4 Dead 2 - for free, as Abba-Al-Morim mentioned
  • Long Live The Queen - don't ask...
  • Papers, Please
  • Remember Me
  • The Secret World

Hey, I own three of those! I did a thread on Long Live the Queen a while back, and I also really liked Papers Please. (Remember Me didn't work on my computer.)

I wound up buying Nihilumbra (really good; I dissected it in Writing Questions) and Don't Starve (desperately needs a tutorial; feels way too trial-and-error even with the wiki.)