• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Long Live the Queen

An invasion is coming, and I don't know how to stop it. I have no skill in leading an army, and I lack the finances to hire a sufficient force. Timidly, I huddle in my castle, until the invading king storms inside--personally.

He wants to challenge me to a duel of magic. I didn't train in magic. Nor do I have the social skills to talk my way out of this. But I did learn foreign affairs, and I know that this mighty mage-king was once a lowly musician. Were I to sing to him, I might be able to reach what remains of his heart.

Maybe I should have put some points in music?

At its core, Long Live the Queen is an adventure game, with the central puzzle being "how do I get out of this alive?" Every choice matters, and every day wasted is a day lost. But ultimately, the only wrong choice is one you can't follow through with--you can guide your hapless princess almost any way you wish, mastering anything from dueling to etiquette and using it as a tool for your survival.

Long Live the Queen has been out for a while, but it's back in the public eye after making it to Steam. I heartily recommend it to anyone who likes life-or-death duels, international intrigue, or frilly pink dresses getting stained with blood.

Also, don't eat the chocolates. Never eat the chocolates.

Great pitch in general. But this:

But ultimately, the only wrong choice is one you can't follow through with--you can guide your hapless princess almost any way you wish, mastering anything from dueling to etiquette and using it as a tool for your survival.

That could be one of the best senses for a story to have, and better yet for a game since it's no illusion that odd choices might get made. At the risk of the obvious: intriguing...