• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Long Short Story Contest

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
It looks legit to me. Freeditorial is sponsoring it, and from what I can tell from a google search, they're trying really hard to make a name for themselves right now.

But man, freeditorial is such a scammy looking name, isn't it?

Also, if anyone submits to this, pay careful attention to whatever their rules say about their rights to use your submission.

T.Allen.Smith

Staff
$15,000 for no entry fee seems really, really sketchy.
I've heard of WriteToDone. However, I don't know much about the organization. I can't say if it's bonafide or not, but figured someone here might know more about them.

What harm can it be considering there's no entry fee? The writer should still be protected by copyright.

Last edited:

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
Here's where the dirty details are
https://freeditorial.com/writers/new

What concerns me is the statement that every contract will be written individually. IOW, there's no way for you to know ahead of time what you're getting into. The fact that the work becomes the property of Freeditorial, to be offered for free there (in perpetuity?) does not make me happy. In many other arrangements, rights revert back to the author after a period of time.

Now, maybe that's what their contracts say, but they're holding those cards face down, so ... I won't take that bet.