• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Long time thinker and planner, now time to write.

Swordfry

Troubadour
Hello. I am really glad I found these forums and this web site in general. I think it will really help me out writing my stories. Not going to lie, most of my posts will likely be in the World Building Forum. I have been world building my own fictional world for my stories for years now, and still have not hammered out all the little details. It is really hard. My stories were the typical ones set in usual fantasy settings with castles, elves, orcs, etc. Now, however, I have been transitioning from that to a world of my own creation with a complete set of original races unique to my design. I've all but designed their skeletal systems (the sad thing is that I may get to that soon, lol) It has been a long, rough transition, all the while my stories are waiting for the world they take place in to be finished. Most of my world building research just involves building cultures for my races, and figuring out the exact schematics and layout of the land and settlements.

Even in the midst of researching for world building, I have redoubled my efforts to actually write. I have had a couple short stories in mind for a long time. These stories are set in their own typical fantasy setting. My plan is to write one and self publish it just to see if my writing is any good and if anyone actually likes it. It will be just an experiment. I will self publish it as an ebook at first, that way I will not lose or waste too much money if it fails. Really it is more of a novella, not a short story.

Well that introduction is out of the way. I think I am going to like it here :)

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
Hail and well met Swordfry
World Building is my downfall. Too often I disappear down that rabbit hole...
Learn what you need and share what you know.
And don't touch the Peacock - it's an illusion...
[Love your name btw...]

fshamas

Dreamer
Hello, Swordfry. I would like to know about your worlds. I have always held that our imagination isn't completely free - but a rehash, a restructuring of reality. Not ex-nihilo.

Swordfry

Troubadour
Thank you.

I think I should make clear that I do not plan on sharing much of my world here, at least not for a while. I'm extremely protective of it. As with any new community, trust will have to be built first. I know every writer thinks this, but I truly believe that my fictional world is unique and one not seen in a long time, if ever. All of my races are built from scratch. I know this sounds prudish, but oh well. However, if you follow my world building posts, you will get quite a few snippets and hints at parts of my world.