• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Looking Back: Mythic Scribes Moments

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
Since it's been over a year since Mythic Scribes came into existence and changed my internet world for the better, I thought it would be nice to share some fond memories of your stay here. It can be a helpful post that brought you out of a writing funk, a fun challenge, an awesome story in the Showcase, or just general interactions with other members. I'll list some of my moments:

• Joining the site thanks to starconstant and being warmly welcomed
  • The Epic Badass Tournament in the Challenges section by Map the Dragon (which sadly never finished :( )
  • The Reaver Challenge was fun for me to write recently!
  • Playing The Endless Hunt has been great for me, getting to GM for the first time in several years
  • Reading a lot of the cool articles on the front page really helped motivate me

These are just some good moments for me. Care to share? If I think of others I'll post some more!

Reaver

Staff
Well, the first thing that comes to mind for me is being given the fabled Red Shield by Black Dragon. This may appear silly to some people, but outside of certain events in my military career, being awarded a Moderator position is a great honor.

~Both of Legendary Sidekick's Trigger Challenges were pretty awesome. (Even though a lot of people hated Demtrius Anhalt for reasons that are still unclear to me.)

~Making up stuff for Phil the Drill's Bounty Hunter Challenge & Invent a Fantasy Word was a blast. (Okay, pretty much everything Phil comes up with is a blast.)

~Grey Sage's "The Story Behind the Name" Challenge was very cool.

~The amazing response & posts on my FIRST EVER REAVER TRIGGER CHALLENGE[SUP][SUP]tm [/SUP][/SUP](I honestly didn't expect such enthusiasm.)

Sparkie

Auror
The first thing I remember reading on the site was Black Dragon's 'Craptastic Fantasy' article. Great stuff. After that, I visited off and on until I read one of Ravana's posts (I can't remember which one) which made me want to become a member. Since then, a few moments stick out:

~Reading the reaction to the first thread I set up in the writing forum. I'd wondered If anyone would bother to read and reply to my question (which was how many POV's are too many.) I was delighted to see the reaction and ensuing discussion. I'd had a warm welcome up to that point, but it wasn't until then that I knew I'd found 'my site,' if you get my drift.

~The Legendary Sidekick Trigger Challenge. I needn't say more, but I will. It was great fun, and, I think, a testament to the potential of Mythic Scribes. Entertainment along with skill-building and fellowship among writers. Who knew? (Well, maybe some people might have, but I didn't.)

~Reading Leif GS Notae's and Larkin's observation's of my story, "The Severing," in the Showcase. It was just what I needed. Every writer should have an outside assesment of his or her work. These members didn't shy away from saying what needed to be said, be it good or bad. People like them are what make this site a great resource.

There are other things I could list, but I'd like to read what other people have to say instead.