• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Looking for a short story exchange partner

I have just finished my first draft of a new short story and if I were to describe it in two words I would say it is 'heavy shit'.

For the time being, without editing, it's just over 5k words (I'm fine with critiqueing short stories of any length). I'm still learning, but I think that with every new critique, my critques are becoming more valuable. If nobody is interested in doing a story/critique exchange then I'll edit when it feels natural. If I do get an interested party, then I will edit to fit that person's schedule.

Story title: Letters from an angel
About the story genre: it's a fictional story, but it's general fiction.
Story brief: A young girl, a child really, grew up in a dysfunctional family. Her grandfather is the only one who's kind to her and when she hears that he is going to die soon, a plan she had to bring the family together turns tragic. She commits suicide and requests for her letters to be read at her funeral. The story recounts this funeral.

This idea struck me and I had a wow-feeling. I knew it wouldn't make me happy to write it, but it wasn't the kind of idea I could file away for later. So I've written it.

Who knows, it might be my subconscious responding to a comment I've seen in several critiques that I need to try and make my writing more emotional.

Anyway, my thanks to anybody who responds.

2way

Folderol

Scribe
Okay, 2way, I would love to read it. I'm not a short story writer, but I'm happy to dive in and give it a go if you think a screenwriter-turned-new-novelist could be helpful. Your call.
My own offering is the prologue to my first novel, which I think needs to read more like a short story.

Great, if you could tell me by what time you want to receive the story, I'll make sure you get it.
I haven't edited it yet, I need to be mentally prepared.
I'm not a short story writer myself, but from time to time I hit upon an idea I think is strong but short. They tend to be quite dark though.

Also, if you're looking to improve your opening, check out www.creativityhacker.com
In the Immerse Or Die section, there's a ton of reviews of book openings and it sheds lights on a lot of issues that can hurt your book. Plus, each post has a link to the amazon book so you can check out the opening yourself.

Folderol

Scribe
Okay, thanks for the link, no doubt it will be helpful.
I'm currently editing a first novel for someone, but it's ongoing so if you can send your story in the next day or so, I'll get to it as quick as I can. I consider myself warned about the darkness -- humor is more my style, but I'm resilient. In fact, I'm curious to read exactly what you mean by "quite dark."

What kind of feedback do you want? Let me know when you send. I've replied to your email address, so you have my contact info.
A wave and a smile....