• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Looking Forward (for words?)

gumsoul

Hello fellow writers, artists, readers and thinkers. I have stumbled upon this forum too many times by happenstance to ignore its contributions and coincidence, and would like to now engage in conversation and community, and hopefully contribute something worth while and perhaps even helpful to someone one day!

I have worked steadily over the past year in a half on a project that I have shelved for years at a time, and sporadically worked on over the past 2 decades. Being that the original concept was developed when I was barely a teenager, much has changed and matured, as have I (somewhat). It's been interesting to see and read about different styles and methods discussed here.

I have illustrated and written the characters for my story, and it is a massive undertaking. I may reach out for help in the future, but for now, I am keeping my cards close to my chest, as I am pretty pleased with the development thus far. I have written mostly poetry in the past, having only been published by my college annual editorial collecting student works. I am proud of that, but this new project is much more intimidating and larger in scale and scope. I have envisioned a hybrid of literary novel and graphic novel for my fantasy themed story. Kind of like an adult version of a children's story book. For example, 30-50 pages of written pages, with 3-5 illustrated paneled pages. With that in mind, I know I will not be able to do the illustration alone, as I am not a fast writer, and even slower at illustrating. My development process seems to be pretty unique though, compared to what I have read from others' descriptions. I write much like I draw. I start with a skeleton, the bones of the body. Then I add musculature, then clothing, then render details and expression. I have hand written 2 drafts of my story's outline, and typed a slightly more detailed outline. I have redesigned concept art for all of my characters many times.

I suppose I have nothing more to say in this introduction, and have rambled for too long. In the eternal words of the God of Thunder, "I bid you good luck and farewell, morons!"