• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Looking Forward to meeting you all

Russ

Istar
I have bumped into Mythic Scribes and have been immediately impressed.

Anyways I guess I should introduce myself.

My name really is Russ, and I have a background in history, particularly military, classic and medieval, and had the privilege of teaching "Medieval History of Writers" at Seton Hill's great Masters program in genre fiction.

I also have a lot of experience in Western Martial Arts, studying at AEMMA (AEMMA - Academy of European Medieval Martial Arts) and have fought many times with real steel, in and out of armour.

I also have had the chance to assist some pretty good authors with research and editing. They would include Rob Sawyer and Nalo Hopkinson.

To keep body and soul together I work as a lawyer.

I have decided it was time to write a fantasy novel that has been percolating in my brain for a while, and am about 60,000 words in. I am hopeful that your advice and guidance will improve my efforts. Character seems to be my weak point at the moment, but I am discovering new weak points all the time.

If there is anything I can do to assist you on your writing journey please do not hesitate to ask.

Sometimes I do "disappear" for a few weeks when I am doing a trial, so if I do not get back to you quickly please don't take offense.

Tom

Istar
Hey there! Hope you like your time here.

Your resume is very impressive! I'm also interested in European Martial Arts, and I take sport fencing--the foil and épée disciplines, to be exact. It's not exactly the real deal, but it's close enough. I'm looking forward to seeing your input in the "Ask me about swords" thread!

60k words is also very impressive. I'm at roughly 66k right now, but nearly 1k of that is old stuff that needs to be cut out. What subgenre of fantasy is your novel? What's the plot?

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
Hail and well met Russ
Weak points are my speciality...
Glad to have you here. Enjoy the Philly Cheese Steak Tacos and don't forget to tip your servers...

Russ

Istar
Thanks for the kind greetings gents. How did you know I love Philly Cheese Steak?

To answer your question Tom my novel is epic or high fantasy set in an alternative historical central southern europe where magic works, Jesus was never born, and the Romans, while not as successful as they were historically but they did not fall. The plot I can chat about later.

I have great respect for olympic style fencing or fencing with foils etc. We had a good instructor in those disciplines, or more accurately historical versions of them at our school but it turned out I was just no good at them. Kept getting that point turned aside and eating the thrust.

Reactions: Tom