• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Lore Dump About the Conetheans

Redfrogcrab

Troubadour
if you've read through my stories, you'll know I mention a species of tall, humanoid corvids called the Conethean

Well, here's all the lore on them I have.

Biology, taxonomy, and Anatomy

Taxonomy:
Phylum: Conethvertebrateta, the Coneth equivalent to Earth's vertebrates, characterized by having a central nervous system protected by bone
Class: Hexapoda ("six foot"), the equivalent to Earth's Tetrapods, but with 6 limbs instead of 4 and living mostly on land
Order: mammopteryx ("breast wing"), this order is characterized by many convergently evolved Earth mammal traits (such as sweat and mammary glands) along with feathers and wings
Family: gryphios (griffin), characterized by the front and back pairs of limbs being used for non-flight applications, such as terrestrial locomotion or picking things up
binomial Species name: Sapiopteryx Coneth

Biology and anatomy:
Conetheans are a carbon-based, omnivorous, sapient species hailing from the planet Coneth, with a planetary gravity of 0.72 gs (1 g is Earth's gravity at sea level) and a dense, oxygen-rich atmosphere, allowing for both powered flight and a high level of sapience. They average to about 8 feet tall. All parts of their body, except lower arms and legs, beak, eyelids, and reproductive organs, are covered in 2 layers of feathers, a dark-grey down coat that covers all but previously stated parts of the body and a black flight feather coating, densest on the top of the head, on the wings, forearms, lower legs, back, and tail feathers
The 3 tongues: all complex animal life on Conethea have 3 prehensile proboscides located in the mouth, this is considered a "basil trait" or a part of an organism that's been part of an organism's group for a long time, In Conetheans, the middle proboscis is a muscular tube that acts like a straw for sucking up fluids and, in hatchlings, used for nursing, with the outer two used for object manipulation and tasting things. Beaks are also a basil trait and protect the tongues from damage.
Senses: Conetheans have all of the basic senses that humans have (Sight, touch, taste, hearing, smell, gravity, and spatial positioning) along with a sort of in-built compass that allows for better navigation. Their eyes are better at seeing distances and tracking movement when compared to human vision. Conetheans also have slightly dull hearing, due to the high-density atmosphere their home world has that allows sound to travel faster.
Skeletal structure: close to humans, with added wing bones. Bones are also hollow for both added air capacity and weight reduction, the bones of Conetheans are reinforced with enamel (the stuff in teeth that make them strong). Legs are extra-reinforced for landings and take-offs. wings are extra-extra-reinforced to deal with the stresses of flight.
Circulatory and Respiratory systems: Conetheans have a 5-chambered heart and large lungs, blood is red, as Conethean Blood contains hemoglobin, the same stuff human blood has
Wings: wings are an elliptical design, best for maneuvering in tight spaces and for power, the average wingspan of a Conethean is about 16 feet from tip to tip, which is more than enough for take-offs and landings. the skeletal structure of a Conethean wing is about 3 feet from base to tip and is tipped with a Claw, a trait left over from their evolutional ancestral lives in the trees and cliffs of their world. the wings fold up when not in use.
Legs and arms: like humans, they have 2 legs and 2 arms, they walk on their toes, common in a lot of quadrupedal Earth mammals and Therapod dinosaurs. arms end in a 5 fingered hand, and both toes and fingers are tipped with talons. Forearms and thighs have small "winglet" Feathers for added maneuverability and stability.
reproduction: Conetheans reproduce sexually, the organs are pretty much the same as humans, females tend to lay 1-2 eggs after 2 months from conception, where it takes another 5 months for the eggs to hatch
Convergent traits with humans and compatibility: humans and Conetheans share many similar body structures, such as a bipedal stance and mammary glands in females located on the chest, even down to some organ structures. However, Conethean biology is incompatible with human biology, Conetheans are unable to digest certain proteins found in Earth life, and they will get sick from eating Earth foods (this ranges from a bad case of diarrhea to fatal poisoning), this also applies in reverse. However, trading bodily fluids (except blood) is not fatal. Diseases are also not a concern, as diseases from both Races are incompatible with each other's biology.

Culture, Technology, and Society
(Please not, Im not a sociologist so this bit is going to be REALLY SHORT, will make a reply when I think of more lol)
Conetheans all share one culture and society, as powered flight tends to unify ideas
Society: A Democratic Monarchy, conetheans put community over the individual when it comes to the community, what's best for all is best for one.
clothing: Conetheans tend to wear tight-fitting clothes that usually just cover the chest and crotch areas, legs, arms, heads, and bellies are always exposed, except when deemed dangerous to be exposed (such as in space, during war, or around hazardous materials).
religion: The conetheans worship a goddess that is believed to be responsible for creation itself, the goddess Coneth (meaning "mother"), this religion is polytheistic, with several gods
Technology: They have slightly more advanced tech, with antimatter-based reactors and drives and gravitational manipulation technologies, along with FTL travel

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Connethans...I think that is the closest to your phonetic spelling. I would have Co-neath-ee-ans...

But, I think one has to write knowing that readers may be pronunciations wrong. You could write thing phonetically, maybe in an appendix, but does it matter? The reader will make it up for themselves any way. For many things I read, some of those names and places just become 'the one that starts with an S'.

Redfrogcrab

Troubadour
Just pronounce it how ever you like, some say "con-neh-thee-ans" some say "con-neh-theans"
It's the Coneth-to-English translation