• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Love story between coastal elf and satyr?

Cassia

Dreamer
In my latest story, a satyr has met this coastal elf...Would it be okay to have a romance between the two or would it sound too odd?

TWErvin2

Auror
Depends on the world and how you write the story. Could work out great or could be an utter disaster, or somewhere in between.

Chilari

Staff
Satyrs aren't exactly known for their romantic tendencies, but I don't see why you can't have a relationship between two entirely fictional beings.

Ireth

Myth Weaver
It does strike me as a little odd, as satyrs are typically much more inclined to pure sex than romance. But hey, why not have one who's asexual, or just less sexual than his/her peers?

In my latest story, a satyr has met this coastal elf...Would it be okay to have a romance between the two or would it sound too odd?

...You are going to have to extrapolate a bit on your cultures here. This question doesn't really tell us anything about your story.

Like, what the heck is a "coastal elf"? And what is their typical attitude towards satyrs?

SeverinR

Vala
You have a unique elven group, the culture you made up, so the same should be said about the satyr.

The stereotypical (mythical)satyr is overly sexual, but like humans, I bet the average satyr is not the stereotype.

Nothing in your world has to be what is already made up in our world.
The satyr could be just a goat legged human, with all the failings a human can have.

Frayling0

Acolyte
I agree with Severin -- and you can always take aspects of the traditional "satry" but also meld in some of your own. In my story the Satyrs were once a proud and powerful race, but they destroyed themselves through their own hubris. In this case I kept some of the negative qualities, but I did not make them an overtly sexual race since they treated relationships just as humans would.