• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Magazines

Kaellpae

Inkling
Are there any magazines that you can send short stories to for fantasy/sci-fi genres?

If there are, and they use stories you send them, do they pay you for it or do they figure a story of an unknown writer being printed is payment enough?

Either of those would be awesome. And I'd like to read one of those magazines.

I wasn't sure whether this should be in Writing Questions or Publishing.

Chilari

Staff
If the magazine is an amateur thing run by a writing group, with no adverts or maybe one or two of shops local to those making it, then you shouldn't expect to get paid. Otherwise, you should. If it is a professionally produced magazine, either they have proper funding behind it from a parent company such as a publishing house or magazine and newpaper collective, or they've got lots of advertising for generally larger companies, or both. In which case they should have enough money to not only pay their staff, but also to pay contributors. Intermediate magazines that are part hobby, part side source of income for the producer, may or may not pay for short stories.

I'm sure it goes without saying, but any magazine which expects you to pay in order to print your story is a scam.