• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Magick vs. Magic?

Greybeard

Minstrel
It would seem that some authors have taken to spelling magic with a "k" at the end, which is magick. Why are they doing this? Is there a substantive difference?

Amanita

Maester
Crowley used this spelling if I remember correctly. So if someine is actually basing his magic system off his in a Urban fantasy or something it might make a bit of sense.
In alternate fantasy worlds? Not really.

Derin

Troubadour
I've seen it work, but generally I think it just sounds pretentious. It gives a certain fantasy punk feel to things if done well, but in general I prefer to stick with the common spelling.

It's not just a fantasy novel thing; a lot of New Agers and neopagans spell it that way too.

I don't think it means anything different, just a different spelling. for people who want their magick to be 'less mainstream'

or something like that :p

Digital_Fey

Troubadour
I don't think it means anything in particular, except that the author is trying to be pretentious. It's almost as bad as spelling vampire with a y...

but vampyre looks epic and edgy, and sooo much cooler :p or not

I'd say calling alternate spellings pretentious is a little far though...

Alternate spellings are useful in names. Spelling an established word of the English language differently just because you can is pretentious.