• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Malazan and "difficult" fantasy

Steerpike

Felis amatus
Beginning with Gardens of the Moon, readers will either hate my stuff or love it. There’s no in-between. Naturally, I’d rather everybody loved it, but I understand why this will never be the case. These are not lazy books. You can’t float through, you just can’t. Even more problematic, the first novel begins halfway through a seeming marathon–you either hit the ground running and stay on your feet or you’re toast.
–Steven Erikson, Gardens of the Moon preface (xii), 2007​

An interesting article up at Tor.com for those who are Malazan fans and those who aren't:Gardens of the Moon and ?Difficult? Fantasy: Advice to First-Time Readers | Tor.com

Incanus

Auror
Great article, and good timing.

I'm gearing up for my first re-read pretty soon (rereading The Last Chronicles of TC also). I've long had a sense that I'd get much more out of Gardens of the Moon the second time. Definitely a worthy series.

C

Chessie

I tried reading the first Malazan book and just couldn't get into it. Like, I found it pretty boring right away and her writing was like chewing icy porter.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
I tried reading the first Malazan book and just couldn't get into it. Like, I found it pretty boring right away and her writing was like chewing icy porter.

*His :)

The Malazan series is among my favorites. I quite enjoy the writing style and subject matter. As Erikson said in the quote I posted above, and as has been confirmed by my experience, there isn't a lot of middle ground here. People either really like the books or really dislike them.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
Great article, and good timing.

I'm gearing up for my first re-read pretty soon (rereading The Last Chronicles of TC also). I've long had a sense that I'd get much more out of Gardens of the Moon the second time. Definitely a worthy series.

I read Gardens a second time about four books into the series, and even then I found so much that I missed the first time around.

Incanus

Auror
Apparently I should like chewing icy porter then! Should just point out that the author, Steven Erikson, is male.

Peat

Sage
Just to be difficult, my reaction to Gardens of the Moon was "Eh, this is quite good" and then lose attention about halfway through. Possibly because I had to return the book to the library. Can't really remember now.

I keep meaning to retry but never quite get around to it.