• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Male love interest or female companion?

Should my heroine have a male or female companion?

• Male love interest

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Female friend

Votes: 6 75.0%

• Total voters

Jabrosky

Banned
The story I am writing has a female protagonist who pairs up with another individual on her quest, but I'm having a little debate in my head over whether I should make this supporting character male or female. I originally conceived of the second character as a male love interest for the heroine, but now I feel it would be more interesting if the story was about a platonic friendship between two female adventurers rather than the usual heterosexual couple. It would both please my pro-feminist impulses and convey the message that female characters don't need a male love interest in order to work as heroines.

On the other hand, since I am a straight male myself, keeping the male love interest would mean I get to write a sex scene. Truly this is a difficult conundrum.

There is a third character joining the party, but s/he is supposed to be a fat and elderly mage and therefore wouldn't work as a love interest, and I want to keep the party size below four individuals.

BWFoster78

Myth Weaver
Wow, you certainly approach the construction of your story differently than I do.

What kind of story do you want to tell? Do you want romantic elements or do you want a story about buddies? I'm not sure anyone else can answer that for you.

Jabrosky

Banned
Wow, you certainly approach the construction of your story differently than I do.

What kind of story do you want to tell? Do you want romantic elements or do you want a story about buddies? I'm not sure anyone else can answer that for you.
Right now I'm more inclined towards the second option (buddy story), and maybe that is what I will go with in end. I just posted this thread because I thought the concept of a female buddy story was so cool I wanted to share it.

And how do you construct your stories anyway?

I'm voting male, because I don't see a lot of well-written male sidekicks in stories starring women. Whether or not the story's marketed as a romance, the guy tends to be the same "I'll help you if I don't kill you" archetype that was so infuriating in Twilight. Still, whether they're friends or lovers is a product of their interactions--don't force a romance if they function better as friends.

Mindfire

Istar
Far be it from me to question your motives but... no, actually that's exactly what I'm going to do. You seem to be making this decision solely based your desire to be pro-feminism versus your lust for writing sex scenes. (Pun very much intended.) But... why? I won't deny that author preferences play a big role in shaping the story but there is such a thing as going overboard, which can make your work come off as preachy... or creepy. But an even more pertinent concern is that approaching the issue this way blinds you to other possibilities which might suit the story better. For example: a platonic friendship between a man and a woman.

BWFoster78

Myth Weaver
And how do you construct your stories anyway?

Generally, I start with a character and a situation and just start writing. If my character encounters someone along the road, I'm as surprised as the reader about who it's going to be. Though, I tend to dig a heavy romantic element in my stories, so that usually pops up. I'd never give consideration to whether I somehow needed more males or more females or whatever.

Jabrosky

Banned
Still, whether they're friends or lovers is a product of their interactions--don't force a romance if they function better as friends.
What if they're both physically attracted to each other and want to have sex?

Generally, I start with a character and a situation and just start writing. If my character encounters someone along the road, I'm as surprised as the reader about who it's going to be. Though, I tend to dig a heavy romantic element in my stories, so that usually pops up. I'd never give consideration to whether I somehow needed more males or more females or whatever.
At the time I made the OP, I was working with an outline for this story. However, now I've thought more about what I've written so far in the story proper, I feel like it'll deviate from my plan to a significant degree. In fact I don't even know if these two characters will even meet anymore.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
That sounds suspiciously like an excuse to shoehorn in a sex scene for no reason. Again, why?

Why not? A sex scene serves character development and adds an erotic element to the story. Those are really the only reasons ever to have one dramatized, and they seem to me to apply just as well here as anywhere else.

Mindfire

Istar
Why not? A sex scene serves character development and adds an erotic element to the story. Those are really the only reasons ever to have one dramatized, and they seem to me to apply just as well here as anywhere else.

In what way can a sex scene serve character development that a non-erotic scene can't?

I write what I like, and I like to see sexy ladies in action. Is that a problem?

See, that is the kind of rationalization that comic book artists use when they make things like this:

vLRPb.jpg

But then again, I tend not to be pro-fanservice, so whatever.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
In what way can a sex scene serve character development that a non-erotic scene can't?

I didn't say you couldn't do it with a non-erotic scence; it's just one way to do it, and as legitimate a way to do it as with a non-erotic scene if that's the direction you want to take the story.

T.Allen.Smith

Staff
Some people have a greater emotional connection to sex than others. That's something I've learned through maturity and experience.

It's certainly legitimate to include scenes of sex if it serves the story. I see no difference in that choice or in choosing any other element of humanity. I can think of situations where character development might take place within a sex scene.

Like it or not, sex is part of the human experience. It has a shaping effect on people and the world at large. I would never want to exclude the option of exploring such an important aspect of humanity through characters.

If it's gratuitous, that's where the concern would lay.

Last edited:

Mindfire

Istar
If it's gratuitous, that's where the concern would lay.

That's what I was getting at. It seems gratuitous because so far Jabrosky hasn't given any reason for it besides "I like sexy ladies." Of course, he has every right to do this. But ideally there should be some intent and significance beyond pure fanservice.

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
I write what I like, and I like to see sexy ladies in action. Is that a problem?

People have sex all the time, it's a part of life. There's nothing wrong with portraying it, but as with everything else in your story you need to have a reason for it.

I think the question really is: "What's the reason for adding a sex scene?"
If it's mainly because it adds depth to your characters and furthers the story in an interesting way, then by all means, go for it.
If your main reason for adding a sex scene is that you like some sexy lady action, then by all means, go for it, but expect potential readers to question the validity of your pro-feminist impulses.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
That's what I was getting at. It seems gratuitous because so far Jabrosky hasn't given any reason for it besides "I like sexy ladies." Of course, he has every right to do this. But ideally there should be some intent and significance beyond pure fanservice.

I don't agree. It's just like a battle scene - people choose to dramatize those all the time, when they could just as easily be conducted off scene or in summary form. What are they adding, except an action element that the author likes? Similarly, an erotic scene adds a sexual element that the author likes. There's really no difference, and unless you want to question every action scene for whether it is gratuitous or not, it makes no sense to do so for sex scenes. Apart from including them because you like them and hope your reader will like to read it, they're both gratuitous in terms of dramatizing them. Getting hung up on this sort of thing isn't productive.

Jabrosky

Banned
PIf your main reason for adding a sex scene is that you like some sexy lady action, then by all means, go for it, but expect potential readers to question the validity of your pro-feminist impulses.
I don't see how advocating for gender equality necessarily precludes sexual portrayals of women as a whole. Just because my heroine is a kick-ass warrior queen doesn't mean she can't have sex appeal at the same time.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
I don't see how advocating for gender equality necessarily precludes sexual portrayals of women as a whole. Just because my heroine is a kick-ass warrior queen doesn't mean she can't have sex appeal at the same time.

It doesn't. In fact, the idea that you can't show women freely engaged in sexual behavior runs counter to gender equality.

Mindfire

Istar
I didn't say you couldn't do it with a non-erotic scence; it's just one way to do it, and as legitimate a way to do it as with a non-erotic scene if that's the direction you want to take the story.

From the perspective of the story, the sex is not nearly as important or interesting as the moments preceding it and the cause/effect chain of events that follow it. These are the plot relevant parts and where the meat of character development lies. Description of the sex act itself serves little purpose other than titillation, or perhaps humor if the author has such inclinations. So you could say that all sex scenes are always gratuitous... from a certain point of view. :D

Steerpike

Felis amatus
From the perspective of the story, the sex is not nearly as important or interesting as the moments preceding it and the cause/effect chain of events that follow it. These are the plot relevant parts and where the meat of character development lies. Description of the sex act itself serves little purpose other than titillation, or perhaps humor if the author has such inclinations. So you could say that all sex scenes are always gratuitous... from a certain point of view. :D

You could say the same thing about action scenes. Also, the level of interest or importance attached is your subjective opinion, and one which not all readers or writers share.