• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Maps

RainbowGirl

Scribe
Found this forum site while looking for ideas on how to start a map or create a map for the story I'm currently writing with 4 other people. The extra people makes the writing interesting to say the least =)

Johnny Cosmo

Inkling
Welcome. I hope you let us take a look when you start mapping your world. I'm still finishing mine, don't feel confident enough to show it yet, but I will in time.

RainbowGirl

Scribe
@Rhëadïn That's an interesting map, though a little confusing. Most likely because it's not written in English. I think right? The story is about us getting sent back in time, one at a time. First time was an accident, then the rest of them were on purpose.

@Johnny Thanks and I will. It's going to take a while to get it to that point though =/

@Rhëadïn That's an interesting map, though a little confusing. Most likely because it's not written in English. I think right? The story is about us getting sent back in time, one at a time. First time was an accident, then the rest of them were on purpose.

Aye, aye, not english, not any language that anyone knows except me. Though you really don't need to know the language to see rivers and the like. That sounds pretty interesting, I like thinking about time travel :D it is very interesting.

RainbowGirl

Scribe
That would make sense. =) and yes I can see the rivers and such, and it's good just a little confusing. Largely in part because of the words.
Time travel is really interesting to write about too but we have a tendency to our wires crossed more often then not. Which causes some issues with writing the book of course. =) but it is very fun.

EParadise

Scribe
I couldn't even imagine collaborating with that many and actually agreeing on a finished product. Best of luck to you! About the maps....I found myself trying to draw out the map of my world two days ago, and it is much harder than it looks. I think you just have to start and then revise over and over until its right...like a rough draft. Thats how mine is going anyway. Only the basics until I really decide what needs to be where.

Johnny Cosmo

Inkling
I couldn't even imagine collaborating with that many and actually agreeing on a finished product.

I agree! Though, I would like a single co-world builder/general helper; I'm very indecisive.

As for revising maps: yes. I revised mine a few times before recreating it in an a graphics editor, and now it's almost finished I can spot other things that need altering. Generally, I had to develop mine to look more like a continent (bays, islands, et cetera).

Wynnara

Minstrel
Greetings!
A great deal of my story involves getting from point A to point B so I've spent quite a lot of time on my map over the years. I agree with others that it's always a process of revision--going back between what geography would suggest and what the story needs. I would recommend sitting down with an atlas some time as I found it very helpful to see what sort of climates tended to butt up against each other.

Also, you can get a lot of great ideas just from the map itself. After determining that it was quite possible for a desert to develop between the two main mountain ranges on my map, it sparked lots of questions like "How do people cross this? Do people cross this? Is there a preferred route to go around it?" etc. etc.

Hope this helps. :)

RainbowGirl

Scribe
It's easier to do a collaborative project this big then it sounds actually. Mainly because 3 out of the 5 people I'm working with are my sisters, so we tend to discuss it over dinner, while driving in the car, pretty much anytime we have free time. It could be very different if we all lived separately, as it is though, it's really quite fun.
That's what I've been finding out for my map as well. I have several unfinished ones, that didn't work out as well as hoped, and none that got as far as being 'done' enough for me. It takes a lot, but it does give you lots of ideas (as Wynnara said) and it helps with the ability to understand one another when we are trying to figure out the logistics of the story.