• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Merlin

Sheilawisz

Queen of Titania
I have already searched the entire Film and Television Forum, looking for a thread dedicated to Merlin (the TV series) and failed to find one, so I decided to start my own =)

After watching almost all of the First Season, I have to say that I am falling in love with this series. I love the setting, the costumes, the characters, the freaking castle... all the cast is great, every episode hooks me totally and I even like the Magic system, which I find attractive and intriguing.

I know that every season is composed by thirteen episodes and that Season Five has ended the series, and I really cannot wait to watch it all!!

My favourite characters so far are Merlin, Gaius and Morgana... so, are there any other Merlin fans in Mythic Scribes?

I have already searched the entire Film and Television Forum, looking for a thread dedicated to Merlin (the TV series) and failed to find one, so I decided to start my own =)

After watching almost all of the First Season, I have to say that I am falling in love with this series. I love the setting, the costumes, the characters, the freaking castle... all the cast is great, every episode hooks me totally and I even like the Magic system, which I find attractive and intriguing.

I know that every season is composed by thirteen episodes and that Season Five has ended the series, and I really cannot wait to watch it all!!

My favourite characters so far are Merlin, Gaius and Morgana... so, are there any other Merlin fans in Mythic Scribes?

I enjoyed the first few seasons. Missed Season 4 and 5 due to moving and lack of cable/satellite. Chilari is a fan of the series I believe (at least, she just wrote a review of the series finale in her blog and she came off as someone who at least watched the entire five seasons).

Mindfire

Istar
Outside of my own personal experience with Merlin, this would not have inspired much confidence in me to see the show! -_-

Well, for me personally it was THE best fantasy currently on TV, except for Avatar: The Legend of Korra. But I didn't want to bring out all the Game of Thrones apologists by saying that.

Well, for me personally it was THE best fantasy currently on TV, except for Avatar: The Legend of Korra. But I didn't want to bring out all the Game of Thrones apologists by saying that.

haha, I was just saying that in general, fantasy on TV isn't particularly stellar. I enjoyed Merlin, but as Chilari had mentioned in her review of the series finale/series, there was so much potential there. I feel that is true with most TV fantasies. They have so much potential to be amazing, but then they're just flubbed along the way.

Not to say I didn't enjoy the experience of Merlin.

Jess A

Archmage
I quite enjoyed this show. I've yet to see season 5 - I've had so much to watch that I just haven't gotten around to it. I'll have to go and buy the DVDs this week and dive into it, perhaps re-watch the end of season 4. I've kind of forgotten what happened, I watched it a while ago. It's very corny, but I like that - it's a bit of comic relief compared to some of the other shows I watch, such as Game of Thrones and Spooks.

Sheilawisz

Queen of Titania
Today I have to watch Episode 11: The Labyrinth of Gedref that is about a unicorn and a curse of some kind that is causing trouble in Camelot, and after I have watched the first season's final episode, I will come to post my review of these first thirteen episodes of the series =)

I am lucky that I can watch an episode all seven days of the week, so watching the entire series should take a little more than two months. Well, I am not sure if Season Five is already available in my system of satellite TV, but for now I want to enjoy the first Four seasons and watch again the episodes that I have seen already!!

@Jess: That's true, Merlin has excellent good humor and not only Magic and Sword fights. I laugh a lot with some parts while in others I am on the edge of my seat, this series is like the perfect combination...

Jess A

Archmage
Today I have to watch Episode 11: The Labyrinth of Gedref that is about a unicorn and a curse of some kind that is causing trouble in Camelot, and after I have watched the first season's final episode, I will come to post my review of these first thirteen episodes of the series =)

I am lucky that I can watch an episode all seven days of the week, so watching the entire series should take a little more than two months. Well, I am not sure if Season Five is already available in my system of satellite TV, but for now I want to enjoy the first Four seasons and watch again the episodes that I have seen already!!

@Jess: That's true, Merlin has excellent good humor and not only Magic and Sword fights. I laugh a lot with some parts while in others I am on the edge of my seat, this series is like the perfect combination...

Hehe yeah I adore the corny humour. Merlin is so awkward and Arthur so arrogant - it's a good combination. I also adore a good secret (Merlin's magic).

I must admit I will always wait for the DVDs to come out - almost always, anyway. I cannot stand ads! I like to pick and choose when I watch things. Even though it costs me money to buy the entire set when it comes out.

I like Merlin as well, but I haven't watched Season 2 yet. Netflix is my window to the world, though, so I can watch it anytime I want.

Sheila, how in blazes are you that busy?

As an afterthought, I really like the eye thing. Yellow eyes are cool.
Then again, so are red, lilac, and ice blue eyes...

Last edited:

Jess A

Archmage
I just got season 5 finally. It's been out for a while...but I've been slow to get it. Loving it so far! Some of the plots are a tad silly but quite entertaining!

saellys

Inkling
I'll watch anything with John Hurt in it, even if it's just his voice. I made it through most of the first season, but I don't have a lot of time for TV and I stopped around the time Lancelot showed up. I look forward to watching the whole thing with my daughter in about ten years (around the same time she'll be reading The Once and Future King). As fun, family-friendly fare, it doesn't get much better. The episodes are fast-paced and the characters' relationships feel real.

Can't beat all that eye candy, either. ;)

Sheilawisz

Queen of Titania
@Jess: I am watching Season 2 now, the episodes when a Troll drinks a potion to take the form of a beautiful lady and now she's trying to take over Camelot. I know some of the plots are crazy, but so far every episode has kept me entertained all the way from start to end =)

@PlotHolio: Well, I can choose to watch Merlin at 16:00 or 20:00. Sometimes I am not home at 16:00, then I watch it at night. Still, I have missed a few episodes but they get repeated Saturday and Sunday.

@Saellys: The second season is even better than the first.

The final battle between Merlin and Nimueh that closes Season 1 was great!!

Sheilawisz

Queen of Titania
After watching the episodes The Witchfinder and The Sins of the Father, I must say that I absolutely hate that freaking Uther Pendragon!!

I really hope that Uther will get killed at some point in the following seasons, he is really a very crazy character. I watched the episode when Morgana is taken away by Morgause, and today's episode will be The Last Dragonlord which is the final of the second season =)

Morgana is so cool, she is my favourite character now.

After watching the episodes The Witchfinder and The Sins of the Father, I must say that I absolutely hate that freaking Uther Pendragon!!

I really hope that Uther will get killed at some point in the following seasons, he is really a very crazy character. I watched the episode when Morgana is taken away by Morgause, and today's episode will be The Last Dragonlord which is the final of the second season =)

I enjoyed her in Season 1, afterwards I just felt too railroaded towards where they wanted to go.

The Last Dragonlord is pretty cool from what I remember. It's strange seeing you go through the seasons in fast-forward. It seemed like it took forever to progress from Season 1 to Season 2 to Season 3 (of course, being cancelled on NBC in America sure didn't help).

Mindfire

Istar

Well of course Uther dies. How else will Arthur become king?

Ophiucha

Auror
Uther is played by Anthony Stewart Head! Who needs the once and future king when you have Giles on the throne?