• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Methods of Expression

kilost

Scribe
In my writing, both in fantasy and in science fiction, I have a conflict of interest. On the one hand, my real passion is in world building, in which I go into immense detail, churning out cultures and settings by the dozen. However, on the other hand, nobody wants to read descriptions of peoples and worlds, however large the vocabulary used in their documentation. Realistically, novels are the only way to convey these ideas without compromising the settings, but writing compelling plotlines and producing engaging characters are areas in which I have much more difficulty. Short of forcing myself to learn how to write stories in this manner, does anyone have any ideas about how I could share these created worlds? Additionally, what are the best ways to create compelling plotlines which share a decent amount of the setting?

Thanks!

tlbodine

Troubadour
Well, I guess the first question is: What's your goal in writing? Because if your goal is just to be happy and write what you like -- but not necessarily sell copies or gain a readership -- you can do whatever you want. Seriously, do what makes you happy and don't feel guilty about it.

If you want a more commercially viable way to create & share worlds without needing to spend a lot of time crafting stories to live in those worlds, have you considered writing RPGs? You might not get a *lot* of readership, but I know there are small publishers that will print indie games. You'd have to spend some time working on mechanics (dice rolls, stats, etc.) but you could spend time putting together a wealth of background information and encourage *other* people to go play in your world, which might be extremely satisfying.

Most of what I can say is about learning to write stories that do share that interest in the world. I don't think it would be forcing yourself; there are a zillion ways to write and specialties to find, if you just play to your strengths.

My main thought would be to ask, "for the world's way of goldmining/ inheriting/ sailing/ whatever, what's the most interesting thing that could go wrong and who'd be there to try and fix it?" That defines the story in terms of how that part of your world works, what reasons it has for why it has to be that way, and what's shaped the people that depend on turning out right. --It doesn't mean you don't have to think in storytelling terms too, but it lets you focus it on your favorite tools.

Also, there are some ways that can help you focus more on the world, like writing short stories that don't last much longer than what's needed to cover a world topic, or using your author's website to show people who've read your stories more of what's behind them-- a great way to build loyalty once fans start to care about the stories in those worlds. Or, look around writers' groups and things for people interested in writing in a shared world (as long as it is shared; committed writers won't always be happy working in worlds you want all the input on).

In my writing, both in fantasy and in science fiction, I have a conflict of interest. On the one hand, my real passion is in world building, in which I go into immense detail, churning out cultures and settings by the dozen. However, on the other hand, nobody wants to read descriptions of peoples and worlds, however large the vocabulary used in their documentation. Realistically, novels are the only way to convey these ideas without compromising the settings, but writing compelling plotlines and producing engaging characters are areas in which I have much more difficulty. Short of forcing myself to learn how to write stories in this manner, does anyone have any ideas about how I could share these created worlds? Additionally, what are the best ways to create compelling plotlines which share a decent amount of the setting?

Like Tlbodine said, have you considered designing tabletop roleplaying games instead? You'd basically get to do all the worldbuilding you want and leave the narrative to other people.