• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

minor characters names

How do you name your minor character ? There are a lot of minor characters in the book which I'm writing at the moment and I have run out of cool unique names for the characters.
At the moment I need a name for a white 40 something male character. He also need a family name. The character is wise and mature but he is kinda boring.
I also need first and last name for a female character. She can be described as very prim and proper.

For myself, I just smash sounds together until I find a neat sounding name. I usually start with sounds that are parts of names and then hand wave myself into a naming convention. Like I have a character in one WIP called Bertraud. I got that from smashing what my niece used to say my Dad's middle name was (Bernardo, which is close to Reynard I guess) and Lestraud. I liked the sound of it and said I'll keep that. Another is Garren who is an amalgamation of his parents name and I decided that each firstborn son would be named by smashing the first part of each parent's names with the father being first and mother second. This is reversed for daughters. The second child gets the second syllables in the same order. Anything after that the parents just make up and it's usually single syllabic.

I say just start tossing sounds together and see if that sounds like your character.

Heliotrope

Staff
Article Team
Actually, I prefer typical sounding names for minor characters. When an author throws too many strange names at me all at once I get way too confused and have trouble keeping them all apart... like trying to learn a new language and trying to keep track of what all the new words are referring to. In LOTR he at least kept the same sounds, so I knew if someone was a dwarf based on the sound of the name, but which dwarf? Who knows. I would glaze over until I got back to a name I recognized.

^ That's a good point. I suppose it depends on how minor a character this is. If it's just a pass by name it would be pretty typical but if it is a more important minor character then I'd go through my naming conventions.

Drakevarg

Troubadour
I keep a list of stock names by appropriate culture, derived semi-randomly from a baby names list, and pair it with an appropriate surname (occupation-based in cultures where that's the convention, heritage (i.e. Johnson, Birgisdottir) where that's typical, location based (von Lichtenstein), etc).

Generally speaking I reserve "Luke Nounverber" style names for important characters or families - such names usually come about from having an impressive reputation. Bob Skullcrusher is called that because he or one of his ancestors had a reputation for crushing skulls. Actually come to think of it, I'm similar with location-based names. I usually reserve those for lords and such. "Jeff von Tinsletown" usually implies "Baron thereof" or something similar.

But yeah, in summation I just keep contextual tables for generating names quickly. It's kind of a given when you run tabletop games and somebody suddenly wants to know what the blacksmith's name is.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4265

If I'm stumped for a name I read dictionaries in foreign languages, pick out words that sound cool/ fit the character and then fiddle with them until they're unrecognizable.

Can somebody suggest me some female names for a character ? I'm looking for a dainty prim and proper upper class name.

X Equestris

Maester
I give cultures a naming system similar to a real world culture, so that one can look at a character or town name and guess at the nationality. Personally, out and out fantasy names just feel weird to me. It comes down to deciding an ethnic background for the minor character and looking over lists of names in the corresponding language. So, for example, a character from the Marches would have a Germanic name, while one from Mklaria would have an Ethiopian one.

I give cultures a naming system similar to a real world culture, so that one can look at a character or town name and guess at the nationality. Personally, out and out fantasy names just feel weird to me. It comes down to deciding an ethnic background for the minor character and looking over lists of names in the corresponding language. So, for example, a character from the Marches would have a Germanic name, while one from Mklaria would have an Ethiopian one.

Ditto here.

I use that method a lot when I'm writing non fantasy.

TheKillerBs

Maester
I use fantasynamegenerators.com, choose one I like and then fiddle slightly with it so that it fits the phonetics of the language the character would speak.

Zack

Scribe
I just borrow names I like, either use 'em, slightly modify the spelling, or mash up names to make something cool. Or, you can look up names that mean something. Let me explain, I have my main character and a minor character that'll only be around for a few scenes here and there. The minor character is named Garrick (cause I like the name Garrus - Yes, from Mass Effect - and it fits the character's looks). However, my main character is named Caine which means "Hunter." Now if my character was female I'd probably go with something completely different, but I'd be apt to spell "Caine" either Kaine, K'haine, C'aiynne (if it's a nonhuman), or any other form that would produce the same sounds, heck just add vowels to make it look cool (ie: Caaiyne). Or extra consonants (ie: C'hainne). Since it's your world you can play with pronunciations as well. But that's just me.

Erudite

Scribe
I read into the backgrounds of the culture, tie it to a culture in our world, and choose names from there. A lot of my Draconian names are Slavic in nature.

Gurkhal

Auror
I just use the same system that I use for main characters. They are all people after all and I doubt that they or their parents thought of them as "minor characters".