• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Mobiles or laptops?

David Toft

Acolyte
I'm working on targeting my marketing and would appreciate your help with this question. Do people make purchases from mobile phones, or only from 'proper' computers?

GeekDavid

Auror
Phones: Never.

However, I do purchase regularly from my Kindle and my laptop. My Kindle because it links directly to the Kindle store and so purchasing is quick, easy, and seamless.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
Tablets and eReaders for me. I've never purchased from my phone either, but I know people who do.

Sam Evren

Troubadour
As the owner of a Phablet (Note 2), I would never purchase from my phone. I'd purchase via computer and send it to my phone. My suspicions tell me that age will matter here. As you go up in age, I think you'll run into less phone-oriented purchasers.

I still use my phone to read, but I have an inherent distrust of purchasing on it. Now excuse me while I get my shawl.

David Toft

Acolyte
I'm using facebook ads to increase traffic to my website. It seems to be working as 80% of new visitors are now referred to it from Facebook. Almost half of these are visiting from mobile phones, but it's possible to filter these out if mobile phone visitors don't generate sales.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
I'm using facebook ads to increase traffic to my website. It seems to be working as 80% of new visitors are now referred to it from Facebook. Almost half of these are visiting from mobile phones, but it's possible to filter these out if mobile phone visitors don't generate sales.

Skip the phone ads. People make purchases on their phone, but in general I would expect them to be in a hurry, and not take the time to consider a new site quite as much.

Also, ads work over repeated views, so the smaller your sample, the more likely they'll see your add more than once, and the more effective your marketing.

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
Are people actually reading on their phones? I got called out recently for a long paragraph in my opening chapter, but in the book I'm currently reading on my Kindle the author had what can only be called The Paragraph of Doom, which took up two full Kindle pages. Seriously, I tabbed back to make sure. Since I only own a dumb phone for road emergencies out here in the Land of No Signal, I can only imagine what that would look like on a smart phone.

GeekDavid

Auror
Are people actually reading on their phones? I got called out recently for a long paragraph in my opening chapter, but in the book I'm currently reading on my Kindle the author had what can only be called The Paragraph of Doom, which took up two full Kindle pages. Seriously, I tabbed back to make sure. Since I only own a dumb phone for road emergencies out here in the Land of No Signal, I can only imagine what that would look like on a smart phone.

I only read on my phone if I'm caught unexpectedly waiting without my Kindle. And anytime I go anywhere there may be a wait (i.e. doctor's office, barber shop) I take the Kindle. :)