• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Motivation problem

This thread partly comes off the back of Lorna's 'The Value of Fantasy' thread (sorry Lorna!). After reading it, my own experience of writing is slightly different.

I really, really want to keep writing, (because it is something I really enjoy - it at least helps me take my mind off work) but I tend to drift away from new ideas because of my Aspergers' Syndrome diagnosis (which has left me thinking that I am somehow always 'the loser' - apologies if I sound depressive).

So, I am posting this thread basically to ask for support/motivation (e.g. beta reader, collaborative support), because I often tend to 'drift' from whatever I'm writing after I've written 1,500 words + - and I want to write something longer before the inevitable drift occurs - which I can't stop.

If you want to help, let me know. I want to try and restart (or start anew) an old urban/modern fantasy idea (based on a local legend) - but let me know if you want to help.

(Mods - if this thread doesn't belong in this section, please feel free to move it to 'Chit Chat' or delete it if it doesn't make sense)

Is it possible for you to go back to an old project? That is, could you "drift" off of one project and on to another? That way eventually you would finish your pieces.

I don't know of any other way to maintain focus on a goal if you have Asperger's or ADHD or whatever. I can't tell you how to beat your depression, but I can tell you that you can beat it. Somewhere inside you is a small voice that has the answer.

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team
I don't have Aspergers so I'm speaking from a point of ignorance. This may or may not work for you but for myself, anytime I lose motivation or feel the tug of 'I don't feel like doing this right now' pulling me in a different direction, I have this little conversation with myself.

There's nobody keeping from doing something else. I don't have to write if I don't want to and that's OK. There's nothing wrong with that. There's no need to feel guilty BUT if I want to be a writer and I want to finish the story/book, I have to write. And if I'm not willing to commit to that task in a meaningful way, then I should just do something else and enjoy that instead of agonizing myself over something I'm not doing. I ask myself, Do you want to finish the book? If yes, put your butt in the chair and start typing. If no, then do something else and stop agonizing over not writing. Not everyone has the commitment to be a writer, if I don't then I should stop pretending and move on.

These are the things I tell myself to get going on the bad days.

Last edited:

T.Allen.Smith

Staff
I don't have Aspergers so I'm speaking from a point of ignorance. This may or may not work for you but for myself, anytime I lose motivation or feel the tug of 'I don't feel like doing this right now' pulling me in a different direction, I have this little conversation with myself.

There's nobody keeping from doing something else. I don't have to write if I don't want to and that's OK. There's nothing wrong with that. There's no need to feel guilty BUT if I want to be a writer and I want to finish the story/book, I have to write. And if I'm not willing to commit to that task in a meaningful way, then I should just do something else and enjoy that instead of agonizing myself over something I'm not doing. I ask myself, Do you want to finish the book? If yes, put your butt in the chair and start typing. If no, then do something else and stop agonizing over not writing. Not everyone has the commitment to be a writer, if I don't then I should stop pretending and move on.

These are the things I tell myself to get going on the bad days.

I agree with this but I'll add a tad more.

Set yourself a daily writing goal. Be realistic with setting that goal. It doesn't matter at first if that mark is 250 words, 500 words, or 2,000 words as long as it is attainable on a daily basis. Promise yourself that you'll at least write to that point daily (with few exceptions). The idea is to get into the habit of writing & making it a part of everyday life.

Write every day. Regaining momentum takes three times as much energy as sustaining momentum. - DANIEL H. PINK

Now, that's slightly off topic because what I gathered from your post is that you feel Aspberger's is partially to blame for a roaming attention. I can't speak to that directly but there are a lot of MS members with Aspberger's. They will be able to speak on the subject better than I ever could.

In the end, as long as you're writing earnestly you're going to improve.

Last edited:

BRappaport

Acolyte
If I may. I do have Asperger's, and I know what you mean by that wandering attention. It's not that you can't focus, it's this weird line between focusing on one thing at a time while something in the corner of your eye is nagging you for your immediate attention. If you're anything like me, you'll get up to wander around and close drawers throughout the house even though you really want to finish what you were doing. If not, sorry for misinterpreting. I didn't find out my own diagnosis until I was in my early twenties, and then, my mother dropped the bomb on me that she knew the whole time and never bothered to get me help. I spiraled into depression, but writing helped me come out of it. Heck, even being more aware of what I was made things a little clearer. Long story short: It gets easier. It gets way easier, and sometimes, you'll feel proud of being neurologically diverse.

I agree with T.Allen.Smith. Setting a daily goal helped me get back into writing regularly. Make sure it's small enough that you can meet your daily needs pretty comfortably, but large enough that you're not just writing to get it done and out of the way. 1000 words is perfect and allows you the comfort of writing more if you hit a groove. Writing should be a comfortable slip into a hot tub or a relaxing day at the spa, not a job that you grind out just for the sake of having it done. Also, choose a spot where nothing will be in your peripherals. (Especially if you're like me. Small things bug me like crazy.) Choose somewhere out on the porch or in the park or anywhere away from other distractions. If you can hear a television, it's probably not a good place to write. Bring along a laptop or notebook and a pillow or other book to enjoy. Mostly, use this time to detox and get settled before you dive in. Finally, turn off the internet. Turn off your wifi card or just tote along a notebook and pen. I'll get so caught up on how to spell something, that I'll forget why I was using that in the story at all. (I know far too much about Icelandic sledges for one word out of 80,000 in my novel. :/)

I hope things get easier for you soon.

When I was training myself to write a set amount of words daily, I used to have a star chart and give myself a star every day I did the writing. Then at the end of the month, if I had a month of stars I would get myself a small reward. It was amazing how it bothered me when I had a starless day, and a bit of positive reinforcement really helped me turn it into a habit rather than a goal.

Dan Latham

Minstrel
I am much more productive when I have a commitment to someone else to fulfill as I am not very self-motivated. If you want a beta reader, let me know. I have been thinking of looking for one myself.