• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Movies/TV 2014

SeverinR

Vala
Looking at upcoming releases, not seeing alot that is jumping out like last year.

So this thread will be like last years.

Any movie/tv show your looking forward to for 2014.

Game of Thrones season 3 release, season 4 begins: release date not known yet.

Doesn't qualify but what the heck?

"Finding Dory"-2016?

Found some: Upcoming Movies 2014

Poltergeist- a remake? TBA
Hercules, the legend begins TBA
The Legend of Conan TBA
HTTYD2-June14
Hunger Games: Nov 14
The Hobbit- Dec 14
Night at the museum 3-Christmas 14

Remakes of 2014:
Poltergeist, Dumb and dumber to, Dirty dancing, robocop, Endless love, godzilla, Teenage mutant ninja turtles,
Annie, Equilizer (Movie based on the detective show) [Densel as Robert McCall? ]

Some are hopeful, Godzilla's last remake left so much to be desired, I hope it can't be any worse.
TMNT could be good.

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
That list is making be feel depressed...
I've just realised that I'm too old to go to the movies...
I've pretty much given up on reboots and remakes and sequels... why would anyone want to remake "The Equalizer" anyway? It was really bad... ["Callan" was much better...]
Okay I might watch HTTYD2 if I can find a niece or nephew that wants to go. i liked that dragons were really cats with wings that also breather fire...
The only fantasy film of 2014 I'm looking forward to is "Ghost Projekt". It is TVM so who knows if it will ever make it to the UK. I loved the energy of "Troll Hunter".
Other than that, I'm looking forward to "The Newsroom" series 2 being released on DVD. Not really Fantasy but that's about it.

SeverinR

Vala
I have to agree. Nothing of much interest until HTTYD2.
Hunger games and Hobbit have to wait to look forward until this years are released.
Past HTTYD2 is pretty slim pickins on the provided link, and I looked at two others that didn't even have this many.

Equilizer was pretty low on my favorite detective shows. Mannix(way back), Spenser for hire, even Hawk was better then Equilizer. But Densel might make the show work. MY biggest problem was such an old hero who didn't look tough was magically tough and indestructable. At least with Barnaby Jones, they didn't try to make him go toe to toe with criminals half his age.

I don't think they could remake Magnum. It was a unique show with its characters/stars and how they worked togther and location.

Addison

Auror
Ah, thanks. I haven't seen the first one yet. I bought it for my kid brother to watch after he read the books but he buried it in toys and then broke it. So I'll wait until the first and second come out in a pack and keep them to myself.

Chilari

Staff
Rather an uninspiring selection. All I'm really looking forward to in 2014 is Game of Thrones season 4, Hobbit part 3 and How to Train your Dragon 2 (I've seen some of the TV shorts set after the first movie and they were a lot of fun too). Remakes and reboots, urgh, but let's be honest, some recent reboots have worked very nicely indeed - like Star Trek and the Avengers stuff. So I wont count it out yet but I'm definitley wary.

Who knows, maybe we'll be surprised.

SeverinR

Vala
I never have high hopes for remakes, but there are an occasional suprise.

I won't look forward to the 2014 episodes of the 2013 episodes not yet released. That would be Hunger Games and Hobbit.
If they flop this year, I won't be eagerly waiting next year.

Scribble

Archmage
Can I rant about the unoriginal stream of movies out of Hollywood? All these writers with... *gasp* new ideas, I cringe when I see remakes in the works. I'll make an exception for the Toxic Avenger. I liked the original, I thought it was a great cheesy flick for the time. Arnold?? I have a strange hope that this will be a role of his that I will actually like (since Terminator).

The Hobbit part deux, of course I will see it. I was not overly charmed by the first one, but it was "okay". This one promises to be more interesting for me. That was the part of the book that gripped me most. Bilbo's emergence as a hero vs the spiders, the escape from the elves, speaking to the dragon.

Odd Thomas has a ring to it and an interesting premise. "Thomas, a short-order cook with clairvoyant abilities, encounters a mysterious man with a link to dark, threatening forces." The actor Anton Yelchin is different enough it may be interesting.

Nebraska is a film I am interested to see. I think this may be Bruce Dern's best film: Nebraska (2013) - IMDb Director Alexander Payne makes thought-provoking movies.

Passengers has a premise that I know will drag me in: sci-fi and romance. "A spacecraft transporting thousands of people to a distant colony planet has a malfunction in one of its sleep chambers. As a result, a single passenger (Keanu Reeves) is awakened 90 years before anyone else. Faced with the prospect of growing old and dying alone, he eventually decides to wake up a second passenger, marking the beginning of a romance."

danr62

Sage
Looks like Tim Burton is doing Pinocchio, maybe?

Can't stand most of the stuff by Tim Burton. Nightmare Before Christmas was really his only good flick.

Scribble

Archmage
Looks like Tim Burton is doing Pinocchio, maybe?

Can't stand most of the stuff by Tim Burton. Nightmare Before Christmas was really his only good flick.

I'll go along with that. I find his aesthetic interesting, but the story-telling isn't my cup of tea. I will give props to Edward Scissorhands, not one of my favorite, but I think he created a very unique fable with that story. Depp and the supporting actors made it work of course. Not a Winona Ryder fan, I find her to be a shallow actress - someone feel free to correct me with a stellar performance I've missed. She seems to have one whiny mode.

danr62

Sage
Oh, Edward Scissorhands. Yeah, I forgot that one. That's his other decent movie.

I might like the Sweeny Todd if I ever saw it. I'm not interested in any of his other stuff though.

Also, two Hercules movies? What's up with that?

Ireth

Myth Weaver
No love for Corpse Bride? :( It's as good as TNBC, in my opinion. Sort of a spiritual sequel (no pun intended!).

SeverinR

Vala
Passengers has a premise that I know will drag me in: sci-fi and romance. "A spacecraft transporting thousands of people to a distant colony planet has a malfunction in one of its sleep chambers. As a result, a single passenger (Keanu Reeves) is awakened 90 years before anyone else. Faced with the prospect of growing old and dying alone, he eventually decides to wake up a second passenger, marking the beginning of a romance."

Wow, get your pic of all the passingers and you have to live with the one you chose, and they have to live with you. Of course they could do the same thing you did, wake someone else up, then be the odd man out.
Also in waking them up, they will not be able to live out their life with their friends or family members if they were on the ship too. Or again they wake them and know nothing of life except for being on the ship.

Ophiucha

Auror
Movies I'm looking forward to,
- Godzilla, despite my better judgment and all to vivid memories of the Roland Emmerich one.
- I, Frankenstein, which appears to be about Frankenstein's monster fighting gargoyles. IDK.
- Pompeii, has Jon Snow's actor in it and is about volcanoes, and I see all movies about volcanoes.
- The Amazing Spider-Man 2, because I liked the first one well enough.
- X-Men: Days of Future Past, for the same reason as above.
- How to Train Your Dragon 2, because I loved the first one.
- Hercules: The Thracian Wars, which is the better of the two Hercules films coming out this year since this one has The Rock. Also, the other one has like 2% on Rotten Tomatoes.
- The Boxtrolls, since Studio Laika has quickly become a favourite of mine and the trailer was adorable.
- Hobbit 3, obviously.
- Into the Woods, because I liked the original Sondheim musical and this is a movie version of it.

TV shows I'm looking forward to,
- Sailor Moon reboot, because fighting evil by moonlight, winning love by daylight~!
- Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell, because I liked the book and it's the BBC.
- Season 2 of Orphan Black, because that was a damn good first season.
- Season 2 of Hannibal, because that was an AMAZING first season.
- Season 4 of Game of Thrones, obviously.
- The season finale of Sleepy Hollow, since that hasn't aired yet so I can count it.