1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

Moving forward today

Discussion in 'Dragon's Egg RPG' started by Steerpike, Jan 18, 2013.

1. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Moderator

Hey guys...I'll be posting later today. I've been slammed at work and got in very late last night, so I'm a little behind. I plan to resolve the arm wrestling match with Baldhart and, after that, move the action forward, with everyone retiring to their rooms for the night or wherever they are staying. If you have any other actions you want to take in the tavern before everyone sleeps for the night, go ahead and post them :)

Sparkie likes this.
  2. Legendary Sidekick

Legendary Sidekick The HAM'ster Moderator

Thanks for the heads up. As much as I want to know how my feat-of-strength stunt works out, your lawyer stuff comes first. So does my job, so I'll focus on writing my mid-terms* and check back later.

*It's sadly ironic that one of the vocabulary words is procrastinate, and I plan to write the vocab mid-term later since I don't have to give it until Wednesday. I'd write it today, but I'm working on Tuesday's mid-term.

3. Legendary Sidekick

((Will post hanging out with party members after wrestling match results are known.))

4. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

((Will you be rolling to decide the results? That'd be funny. XDD))

5. Legendary Sidekick

((I think so... and my roll sucked. But barbarians have a couple skills that work for strength contests, so if my opponent is level 1, not a barbarian, strong as Baldy but intimidated by her glare (fails charisma check), there's a 70% chance my crappy roll will win.))

6. Steerpike

Yeah, I got Baldhart's roll via PM and made the roll for her opponent (using an actual d20 no less). I just described Baldhart's win in narrative form. It was close, but Baldhart eked out a victory. Once we get the post-match reaction, we'll say the characters call it a night and move ahead. I got home from work a lot later than anticipated, so I don't know if people will see this yet tonight.

7. Legendary Sidekick

Just curious. Was it so close that the "Intimidation" skill made the difference between winning and not?

For other players who are curious, I used the Intimidate skill (-2 to all opponent rolls if he fails the CHA check) and Primal Instinct (+4 to any STR/DEX/CON check under the condition that I'm not a wuss). This pushes the odds 20-30% in my favor.

Sadly, my roll was a 17. That means I rolled a 9, then added my level + my strength + my primal instinct bonus. Assuming my opponent was also level 1 with a +3 str mod, my odds of winning were still good (70% win / 25% lose / 5% gotta roll again?), but by no means was it a sure thing.

It was fun to be held in suspense thanks to Steerpike's day job, and I'm glad I PM'd my roll in advance so I could read and wonder. What an exciting conclusion—totally worth the wait!

8. Legendary Sidekick

Ironically...

After reading about the fire plot, I took these photos (both less than an hour ago). You're looking at the end of my driveway and my next door neighbor. I believe it was a false alarm, or at least nothing serious. I didn't see an actual fire and it's already over.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Steerpike

We have people who still need to act this time around (our new party members) so I'm going to let things stay where there are until tomorrow morning when I get up. When I get online in the morning I'll make a new post whether anyone else has gone or not :)

Sparkie likes this.
  10. Legendary Sidekick

Cinematic inspiration for Baldhart: I just watched the Princess Bride. Of course, the princess is not Baldy's source of inspiration. It's Andre the Giant's character.

11. Sparkie

Sparkie Auror

I love that movie.

12. Legendary Sidekick

Clarification Question

Is this the same corridor, meaing "their left" is the east/right side of that map? Or are the characters facing west, meaning the south/main entrance is now blocked!

In a PM conversation with Severin, he seemed to think his left is the steps leading to the front door. And after a careful re-read, well... yeah. It does seem that the front door is no longer an exit!

13. Steerpike

Good catch. I meant the same corridor that collapsed behind Rydh, so it is the one on the right side of the map. Sorry for the confusion - I stated it wrong. The corridor where Baldhart first broke down the back door is smoky but OK. The fire is mostly on the second floor of that part of the temple. For now.