1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

Moving Forward

Discussion in 'Dragon's Egg RPG' started by Steerpike, Oct 14, 2013.

1. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Moderator

Senseiseth - feel free to make your introduction in the main thread any time.

I know we're waiting on me to finish the map at this point. I'll have it done tomorrow one way or another. I'm going to work on it on my lunch break (I didn't get a lunch today so no opportunity to get it done). I have more to do for work yet tonight, so I can't get it done before bed. We've had spill over from clients dealing with new aspects of the Affordable Care Act, which is contributing to my ridiculous work schedule.

Once the map is up, you will be able to better place the traps, or do whatever else you want to do. Once that's done, we'll probably fast forward to morning and get on with the action.

Anyone awaiting a specific response from me, rather than waiting on the map, please PM me or post in this thread.

Thanks again for your patience, everyone.

Ireth likes this.
  2. Legendary Sidekick

Legendary Sidekick The HAM'ster Moderator

No prob - work comes first.

All I'm waiting on is

(1) …whether or not Baldy (and Bressel) will have their breastplates ready by dawn.

(2) …and Baldy's looking for Gisla to see if she can use lots of glass bottles to make 'bombs' (ingredients: oil, rag, bottle, homicidal valkyrie). She won't mention Nissa's part unless asked.

3. Nihal

Nihal Vala

There still stuff I want to do with Mauve, but I can't since she got intercepted by Ankari. I might need you once things are moving on her end again. Please, don't fast forward. ._.

4. Steerpike

Yes, the blacksmith is going to get back to work. Gisla has plenty of bottles that you can use. I'll mention both when I update, or if you like you can assume these facts and go ahead and post.

@Nihal, I'll PM you and we'll go from there.

Nihal likes this.
  5. Legendary Sidekick

Looks like I can get a post in now. Oh... and Baldhart actually asked the militia man who was with the smith to help fill the bottles.

I figure we can fill 'a lot,' as in more than Nissa could possibly drop during battle. Getting them to the rooftops will be tricky unless someone with good aim tosses a grappling hook for Bladhart (who can climb without issue, at least dressed as she is now--which is in a kilt... I am having her dress decent since she won't be swimming).

6. SeverinR

SeverinR Vala

Aliron can toss one, but have Gilsa out of range, don't want her thinking Aliron's throwing towards her.

Aliron will have his grapling hook roof side, so he can drop in on the festivities when the upclose and personal stuff happens.
    (might be able to use a bottle, but then again don't really want a torch illuminating the archers. Maybe a bullseye latern pointed away from the enemy, to light the bottles. Would only be one or two bottles before he would get into action.)

little shafts of d6 damage is small taters when he has a distracted opponent and two weapons. Probably go single weapon(all bonuses) for gobby, two for gnolls(max damage).

7. Legendary Sidekick

Two weapons? Don't forget it's -3 to hit for one and -6 to hit for the other. (Baldhart hits easily, so I have considered twin bastards, but... that six-legger that could only be hit by high rolls? He made me think differently!)

@SP, is there a roof too high for a crossbow to hit? I know the range limit, but don't know if the range is less when firing up--or how much less. I was thinking of having Baldy ask the smith to let her take a crossbow outside so she can see how high it shoots. Nissa saw the goblins, so she should know what kind of crossbows they carry. (If hand crossbows only, I'm not worried at all and won't bother with test-firing.)

Also, I'm under the assumption (and lack any expertise here) that crossbow bolts, unlike arrows, are not typically fired in an arc--meaning lobbing bottles blindly from a rooftop = full cover from bolts (or full cover minus penalty for poking head up to see where the crowd is). But I may be wrong about that. I might be thinking of a crossbow as I would a gun. Yeah, the bullet can kill you by landing on your head, but you won't shoot a gun that way. A bow lets you draw the string in a way to plan for firing at an arc. (So my logic is based on how the weapon is fired, not the similar pointed-stickiness of both a bolt and an arrow.)

The reason to test fire is so Nissa knows how high to fly so she won't get shot down by 23 crossbows, then crash on the roof and burn down the building with all of her fire bombs on it.

PS- @Ireth, there's no trap anymore. The oil bottles are weapons (designed to take advantage of the gnolls who likely bear similar weapons since they intend to burn the village--hopefully, the fire sets off their fire weapons!). I don't know if that would make Cadell disapprove any less.

8. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Duly noted. :)

Also, re: your PM -- Baldhart mentions that what she said "last night" was probably harsh. Correct me if I'm mistaken, but isn't it still the middle of the night, probably getting on toward the wee hours of the morning? Either way, I haven't heard anybody mention the sun coming up, or people going to actually get some sleep before that happens.

9. Legendary Sidekick

Before midnight vs. after midnight. It was a looooooog boat trip. (3 hours west of Arendal - that's one way!) Many hours have passed since they last spoke!

So 'last night' isn't a typo though it's still pre-dawn. It's like when people (at least here in northeast USA) say 3 o'clock in the morning, though I'm having a hard time calling 4:30 morning. (That's when I wake up for work, grumble, grumble...)

Ireth likes this.
  10. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Fair enough. I guess I'm still not entirely clear on how fast things are happening. I keep imagining Cadell sitting alone in the meeting room while everyone's out and about, but by this point he's probably gone back to bed.

11. Steerpike

A lot of what has happened could take place in a relatively short time, but not all of it. I want everyone to have time to make the preparations they want, but at this point we should assume that is going to stretch well into the wee hours of the morning.

Ireth likes this.
  12. SeverinR

SeverinR Vala

Rolz already programmed for the two weapon back attack. As long as its a back attack he will use two, if it comes face to face, he will use only one. I think with all the +&-, it comes to +3 for one, and +1 for the other. This is distracted opponents, not one that can turn on Aliron without leaving a fight.
    *I could hit at +7 backstab with Celexa's sword if I want sure damage, but only 1d6+1x2. (other would be +5to hit and is 1d8x2)
    both get:(elf)+1+4(backstab)+1(lvl) & single+1(magic)