• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

MS Word Question

BWFoster78

Myth Weaver
I'm gathering all my beta reader comments in a single document, and I thought, "Hey, wouldn't it be cool if I deleted them chapter by chapter as I finish so that I don't have to scroll through to find the current one?"

Problem: with track changes on (which I need to see the comments), it just leave me with the "deleted" chapter still there but with all the words struck through.

Is there any way to do what I want?

Thanks.

Brian

Steerpike

Felis amatus
If you click on the area with the strikethrough and accept that change (just that change, don't accept all changes), then it should remove the strikethrough text on a case by case basis.

Hi,

Confused by your process - whether it's beta reading or editing. However to remove a comment in Word 2000 is easy - though I would not do it the way you are. Simply right click on the comment, you'll get a dialogue box which says I think delete. Click that and the comment text becomes ruled out. Then go into the body of the text following the line that extends from the bottom of the dialogue and when you reach the point in the text where the box connects to - "accept changes".

Personally though I would only do that if a comment was a small thing eg "use another word here". Mostly comments are far broader than that - "I don't understand why he would do this" etc. So what I do when I edit a document is keep my companion data document open as I edit, and copy those comments into it before deleting them. Then after I've finished the rest of the edit I go back with them into the draft and start making changes where I think appropriate. Once that's done, I do a strikethough on the comment in the companion data document, and I know I'm done when I can look at page after page of struck through text.

Cheers, Greg.