• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Multicultural Justice League?

Mindfire

Istar
We've had a lot of threads dealing with diversity lately, so I'm curious to see how some of our members will react to this: New JUSTICE LEAGUE Plot Details; WB Looking At African American Actors For Lex Luthor?

Rumors are surfacing that DC/WB is looking for a Black actor to play Lex Luthor, with names like Denzel Washington and Idris Elba being thrown around. It's also being rumored that future plans for the Justice League may include a "United Nations of Superheroes" approach, with members of the league coming from a variety of ethnicities and backgrounds, with the Flash possibly being Hispanic. The fact that an Israeli actress, Gal Gadot, has been cast as Wonder Woman would seem to bolster this idea.

What do you guys think? Personally, if this is the direction they're considering, I'm all for it. But they MUST make Aquaman Australian. :D

buyjupiter

Maester
Rumors are surfacing that DC/WB is looking for a Black actor to play Lex Luthor, with names like Denzel Washington and Idris Elba being thrown around. It's also being rumored that future plans for the Justice League may include a "United Nations of Superheroes" approach, with members of the league coming from a variety of ethnicities and backgrounds, with the Flash possibly being Hispanic. The fact that an Israeli actress, Gal Gadot, has been cast as Wonder Woman would seem to bolster this idea.

What do you guys think? Personally, if this is the direction they're considering, I'm all for it. But they MUST make Aquaman Australian. :D

If they cast Idris Elba, I'll watch. *swoon* Do they have to include Aquaman?

*mumbles about how Marvel is better, waiting for the argument to explode*

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
I don't know if I mentioned this before, but a friend of mine killed Spider Man. He started on twitter the call to draft Donald Glover for Peter Parker in the movie (I've seen news pieces crediting his twitter handle), and when the dust settled, they instead decided to kill Peter Parker in the ultimate comic line and pass the mantle of Spider Man to a new character that looks a lot like Donald Glover.

In my opinion new characters are the better way to go. I think hijacking established characters can create problems, and in some ways undermines the whole point.

Of course it worked with Samuel L, and they followed that change across their comics. But Nick Fury was a weak character before he took the role. So there's that.

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team
This doesn't bother me in the least. An international Justice League has been done before with the obvious name Justice League International. They had characters from Brazil and Russia, but nobody that I can recall with obvious color... unless you count green for Martian Manhunter. :p

But, I think they could down grade the fanboy rage by just using some of the newer incarnations of certain characters: The Atom, Ryan Choi, Chinese; Blue Beetle, Jaime Reyes, Mexican; Green Lantern, John Stewart, Black.... etc.

As for casting Denzel Washintion, et al. As long as they do a good job I don't care. For example Michael Clarke Duncan IMHO did a great job as the Kingpin in Daredevil. It's too bad the movie was just average.

Ophiucha

Auror
I generally don't mind them switching the races of major characters, and I love Lex Luthor so seeing someone like Idris Elba play him would be... mmm, words couldn't describe my euphoria. I always thought he didn't look white in the Justice League animated series, too, and I saw that before I saw any of the films or comics. For the heroes, it'd probably be easier to just create/pick one that is already of whichever race they desire; I always thought John Stewart was a better Green Lantern than Hal Jordan, particularly after that dreadful movie from a couple years back. Wonder Woman being Israeli seems like a good choice, too, since I've always pictured the Amazons as a mix of races from around the Mediterranean.

The Flash, I must admit that his power lends itself to some unfortunate jokes if he were Latino, but it'd be nice to have a Latino superhero in a movie so I could get behind it. And Aquaman... I think it'd have to be something tropical. If they want him to be white, then he totally needs to be Australian, I agree with you on that one. Jamaican or Polynesia would be my 'racebend' choice, though.

Jabrosky

Banned
The fact that an Israeli actress, Gal Gadot, has been cast as Wonder Woman would seem to bolster this idea.
Gal Gadot may be Israeli by nationality and Jewish by faith, but she is still of Central European descent since that's where her ancestors immigrated from. I'd be more impressed if they cast someone of genuinely Middle Eastern or Mediterranean heritage.

Are there any other major female characters in the Justice League? I'd like to see an African female superhero in their ranks (Vixen?).

Mindfire

Istar
And Aquaman... I think it'd have to be something tropical. If they want him to be white, then he totally needs to be Australian, I agree with you on that one. Jamaican or Polynesia would be my 'racebend' choice, though.

I was actually considering Pacific Islander. But the reason I ultimately suggested Australian is that one of Aquaman's defining features is his blonde hair. It's actually a significant part of his mythos, and Polynesians aren't known for being blonde.

Mindfire

Istar
Gal Gadot may be Israeli by nationality and Jewish by faith, but she is still of Central European descent since that's where her ancestors immigrated from. I'd be more impressed if they cast someone of genuinely Middle Eastern or Mediterranean heritage.

Are there any other major female characters in the Justice League? I'd like to see an African female superhero in their ranks (Vixen?).

Vixen is typically a second-stringer. The first Justice League film will no doubt feature higher-profile heroes. Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman are guaranteed obviously. The rest of the roster will probably be filled out by Flash, Green Lantern, Aquaman, and maybe Martian Manhunter. The only other female hero with a chance of making it onto the roster early on would be Hawkgirl, due to her role in the animated series.

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team
I'd say there's at least one more, Black Canary. I'd say she's at least in the same category as Hawkgirl, maybe a bit highter. She was once the chairman of the JLA. But yeah, other than Vixen, there isn't really a female character that's black on the roster. But if you're talking black males, there are more choices, Cyborg, Black lightning... etc.

Mindfire

Istar
I'd say there's at least one more, Black Canary. I'd say she's at least in the same category as Hawkgirl, maybe a bit highter. She was once the chairman of the JLA. But yeah, other than Vixen, there isn't really a female character that's black on the roster. But if you're talking black males, there are more choices, Cyborg, Black lightning... etc.

I'd prefer Cyborg to be on a Teen Titans-esque team with Nightwing and others. But Black Lightning I can get behind.

Reaver

Staff
I think that the Justice League is already pretty multicultural, but if they could expand it without getting insulting or resort to lazy writing, I'm all for for it.

For example, in my opinion, John Stewart is a far more interesting Green Lantern than Hal Jordan and it has nothing to do with race. (He and I were both U.S. Marine snipers.) If they can change the ethnicities of key characters and keep them interesting, then that would be great.

But I must ask: does no one else see Black Lightning's name as unfortunately coincidental? Why is he called Black Lightning? Is it the costume? Does he shoot black lightning from his eyes or hands? To me, his name is as bad as Black Vulcan and Apache Chief.

I don't know... Maybe it has something to do with the decade in which Black Lightning was created, but then again, according to the DC wiki, John Stewart made his first appearance 5 years prior.

I guess I'll chalk it up to lack of creativity.

Last edited:

Mindfire

Istar
So no one sees Black Lightning's name as unfortunately coincidental? Why is he called Black Lightning? Is it the costume? Does he shoot black lightning from his eyes or hands? To me, his name is almost as terrible as Apache Chief.

Well, in Young Justice his lightning actually is black, which retroactively justifies the name. But as far as the original character goes, he's called Black Lightning because... idk. So many Black superheroes created back then had "black" in their name.

Reaver

Staff
In my opinion new characters are the better way to go. I think hijacking established characters can create problems, and in some ways undermines the whole point.

Of course it worked with Samuel L, and they followed that change across their comics. But Nick Fury was a weak character before he took the role. So there's that.

I've always seen Nick Fury like James Bond... more of a job title than an actual person. So in my opinion, the ethnicity of whomever filled that slot wouldn't undermine the character. I think the only way to undermine the character would be to switch gender. (Sorry ladies, just my opinion.)

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team
Well, in Young Justice his lightning actually is black, which retroactively justifies the name. But as far as the original character goes, he's called Black Lightning because... idk. So many Black superheroes created back then had "black" in their name.

Well, to each yin there's a yang. Here's a DC villain named White lightning. White Lightning (New Earth) - DC Comics Database She's from Alabama and her ability is Driving. :p

SeverinR

Vala
We've had a lot of threads dealing with diversity lately, so I'm curious to see how some of our members will react to this: New JUSTICE LEAGUE Plot Details; WB Looking At African American Actors For Lex Luthor?

Flash=hispanic? ONDELAY, ONDELAY, ARRIBA, ARRIBA, yeppa, yeppa. Wouldn't that be Speedy Gonzales?
"Holy frijoles Batman, what is the Flashes secret weapon? -Gag-gag-"
"Don't pull my finger next time, Vato."

Ok, Vato means "a man that means business", not sure that fits for Robin.

Last edited:
I still think Gina Carano should be Wonder Woman, but I would go with Common as John Stewart/Green Lantern, Noel Clarke(Mickey from Doctor Who) as Cyborg, and Bryan Cranston as Lex. Hawkwoman? I want to go with Freida Pinto and Jason Momoa as Lobo