• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

multiple languages

The situation:
Person Alpha speaks language A.
Group Beta speaks language B.

Language A and B are totally unrelated and impossible to understand each other (think of korean speaking with native south-american).

They meet at a certain point and try some communication, of course, no one knows the other language so nothing is understood.

I was thinking, instead of using some sort of 'he said something unintelligible', actually use an existing language to describe it.
The POV would shift between them and the language used would shift as such.
Something like:

POV A:
Alpha: 'Where the hell did you came from?'
Beta: 'Saluton vojaĝanto.'
Alpha: 'Curse you.' Attacks!

POV B:
Alpha: 'Kie diable faris vi venas'
Beta: Hello there traveller!'
Alpha: 'malbenu vin'
Beta: 'We don't want to fight!'

Is the use of a single language confusing to the reader?
Of course, the text above is a very bad one and nowhere near what I'm actually writing.

As for the language, I thought Esparanto to be a good one. No one knows it. (I could actually put some jokes and/or hints in the 'unknown' language.

(here in hopes of having made some sense)

Addendum: I could actually use Esperanto and Tupi-Guarani if a single language is rather confusing.

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team
I'm a little unsure of what the question is, so correct me if I'm misinterpreting.

First, POV shifting can be tricky if the amount text between shifts is small. But if your intent is to maybe tell a scene twice, once for each POV, that can work so long as the second telling reveals new information and minimizes the repeated information.

Second, if you're worried about having an unintelligible language being spoken back, I don't think that's an issue, and can work very well.

K.S. Crooks

Maester
In comic books they use <> when a character is speaking in a different language but the words have been translated. E.g. <Hello there traveller.> Translated from Esparanto. This would allow you stay with one perspective if you wanted.

Panda

Troubadour
The only problem with using a real language (even an artificial one like Esperanto) is that the reader might recognize it and either not understand why you're using a real language, or form misleading assumptions about your character (e.g., if you use Japanese, the reader might assume the character's from a samurai culture).

On the other hand, I think Bilingual Bonus is awesome. Of course, if you want to be really creative about it, you can make up a language and hide messages in it, like Futurama did.

The only problem with using a real language (even an artificial one like Esperanto) is that the reader might recognize it and either not understand why you're using a real language, or form misleading assumptions about your character (e.g., if you use Japanese, the reader might assume the character's from a samurai culture).

On the other hand, I think Bilingual Bonus is awesome. Of course, if you want to be really creative about it, you can make up a language and hide messages in it, like Futurama did.

The Bilingual Bonus is the effect I want to cause :D .
And that is the reason why I would rather not translate, the Bonus would be lost.

As for the stereotype with an existing natural language, that answer why I'm using Esperanto.

My big doubt is that, on POV of A, Group Betha would speak in Esperanto, while on POV of B, Person Alpha speaks in esperanto.

It is this point where I'm using only one language that I worry it might be confusing.

Saigonnus

Auror
I made the attempt in a short story to have one of the principal characters speak a different language from the rest (Kobold in this case) and even though he speaks only in his native language, through the other characters I make it plain what he is saying.

That said, i am fairly certain that hand gestures and realia can often bridge the gap between two cultures that don't communicate with words. I imagine it was that way when the pilgrims and other european settlers first came to North America and met the natives for the first time. You know, the native warrior points to himself and gives his name, points to his necklace and says the word. it goes from there.

Initially, there would be great difficulty in communicating, but after a while of constant contact, both parties would learn a bit of the other language, sufficient to get basic ideas across. That is the origin of most pidgin languages around the world, foreign traders meeting the natives and staying.

Last edited:

Panda

Troubadour
My big doubt is that, on POV of A, Group Betha would speak in Esperanto, while on POV of B, Person Alpha speaks in esperanto.

It is this point where I'm using only one language that I worry it might be confusing.

Oh. Yeah, I think that would be confusing, unless you somehow established with the reader that the Esperanto dialogue isn't literally what the character is saying.

Since I'm writing in Portuguese, the following translation won't be at its best.

Atty is walking alone though a dead forest when he hears some voices ahead, coming in his direction. He observes three distincts sets but is unable to understand what is being said.
As quietly as he could, he leaves the path and climb the hill on the left, where he tries to hide himself behind some dead branches.
The trio eventually came in sight, a tall man, dressed in heavy fur, a tall woman dressed alike, and guiding them, a - what the hell - an elf. 'A blindfolded damn elf.'
When they arrive to the point where he left the trail, the trio stop.
"Malamiko detektita." The elf says turning uphill as if she could see him.
As he heard those words, the air got cold and his vision turned black.

---

"What's the matter Tez?" Evellyn asked when their guide came to a sudden stop.
"Someone is here," She says. "And out of the path."
She barely finish when they felt a cold breeze coming from the hill, the light beginning to fade ...

Why I haven't write it in first place? You rightfully ask. Well, I haven't done the scene before :D (sorry).

Hope it helps to clear what is my intent.
(and because well I pressed to post this reply before the text just disappeared, the scene is a bit more rushed.)