• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Multiple Main characters

ksmith

Dreamer
In my book I have two characters on the opposing forces, however one does die halfway through but a new main character begins her story(same side as the one who dies). When it is winding up for the characters death should I start introducing her gradually until she takes over?

I was going to have her start from the beginning but that would have been to much having three characters to follow.

Reaver

Staff
Sounds like a solid way to intro a new MC. It's your story and you've got to tell it the way you want to tell it.

You can introduce a character at any time and increase their participation/presence in the story as time passes until they step into the spotlight.

I have two MC's (one on the "good guys" side, the other more neutral but shifts to the "good guys" side later) that are both in the story in central roles from the beginning. Once one of the character arcs is completed the other character steps into the main role for the rest of the story.

AJ Stevens

Minstrel
While trying to keep this free of spoilers, GRRM effectively does this over the course of his first two books, at least with one of the plot arcs.

Reilith

Sage
I don't see why not. If one of them is dying mid-way, you might want to try introducing the new MC some time before that, so the readers can get used to the new POV.

Velka

Sage
I think there's value in including a few significant scenes that make the reader aware of the new MC's existence before she steps into that role, and perhaps a reason to care about her. They don't necessarily have to be from her POV. That way, when she takes over the reader isn't asking themselves "Who is this person?!".

Not saying you can't just introduce her where her story starts (after the previous MC's death), but it would have to be done well. Your reader will likely be reeling from the death of a MC, and I can imagine some would have hard time shifting an emotional investment from one character to a brand new one halfway through a book. If the new MC was friends with the one who dies, or at least respected by him/her it may make it smoother.

You can do it whichever way you like.

If the new MC is particularly charismatic and a great break from the previous MC who died (very different personality, different background, different social standing), then the sudden introduction could work rather well, to grab focus as contrast.

But if the MC who dies has any way of already knowing of her existence, you could always slip mention of her into some conversation(s) before her appearance, even without directly introducing her earlier.