• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Multiple Projects

A.F.Grappin

Dreamer
Just out of curiosity, how many projects do you guys ACTIVELY work on at once?

I usually try to have 3 going: one that I'm just starting to develop and outline, one that I'm actively writing, and one I'm editing. And then on weekends I step away from my main projects and do short stories or flash fiction just to give my brain a resting jumpstart, and so I don't get too bogged down with the main things I'm working on.

I was just curious to see how others work things. How many projects do you actively work on at once, and how do you find that works with time management and all?

Addison

Auror
It varies for me. I usually have several but one stays up front most of the time. As I work on the lead story or do other chores then I'll get bits for the other pieces. Now I don't really have an order these days. If an idea for a new story or a chapter for a WiP pops into my head then I just write it down.

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
My writing partner and I are working on a huge dark urban fantasy series, so I'm not sure how to answer this one. It's projected to be about 12 - 15 books long with shorter pieces here and there. We have 2 in detailed outline/active drafting phase, 8 in rough outline and 7 titled. So, I guess I would say, depends on the day. I try to not write on Sundays, because by then my brains are ready to dribble out my ears, but I usually end up making notes on something, anyway.

teacup

Auror
Just one, for me. I started a second one, but decided to just devote my writing time to my first novel.

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
Just one, for me. I started a second one, but decided to just devote my writing time to my first novel.

Same here. I'm barely making any progress on mine as it is. Trying to fit in something else would probably impact both projects negatively.

A.F.Grappin

Dreamer
My writing partner and I are working on a huge dark urban fantasy series, so I'm not sure how to answer this one. It's projected to be about 12 - 15 books long with shorter pieces here and there. We have 2 in detailed outline/active drafting phase, 8 in rough outline and 7 titled. So, I guess I would say, depends on the day. I try to not write on Sundays, because by then my brains are ready to dribble out my ears, but I usually end up making notes on something, anyway.

I completely understand on this one. My co-author and I are working on an epic trilogy. Book 1 is stewing between second draft and polishing, Book 2 is ready to be written when I have a free spot in my workload, and Book 3 is ready for detailed outline.

Asterisk

Troubadour
I only work at one novel at a time, devoting all my strength and time into that. It's actually a trilogy, but I'm writing it as one book, without chapter breaks or book breaks. When it's done (can't even dream about that yet, even though I'm 112k through), I'll split it up.

T.Allen.Smith

Staff
One at a time. I only have a certain amount of time to write every night (2 - 3 hours). I need all of that time to progress at my desired pace on the solitary piece. If I could write full-time, I may feel differently.

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
I completely understand on this one. My co-author and I are working on an epic trilogy. Book 1 is stewing between second draft and polishing, Book 2 is ready to be written when I have a free spot in my workload, and Book 3 is ready for detailed outline.

Yay! Someone else with a writing partner. We'll have to chat about that sometime. I'm always curious about how other collaborations work.

Hi,

Actively at any one time I might divide my time between up to eight or ten books. But when I get close to the end of one I usually try to focus on just it. So currently Doorways is in editing and I'm just biting my nails waiting for it to come back.

Cheers, Greg.

Rinzei

Troubadour
I am absolutely terrible for this - if I was to count the stories that I've actively been working on, I'd say one. If I had to count the ones that pop-up in my head anyway without provocation, I'd say four to six. Most of them are story ideas I've tried working on over the years, which disappeared when I hit my big dry spell. Now that I'm trying to get out of it, they've all come back with a vengeance - it's difficult to work on just one, but it's also difficult to concentrate enough to get any of them going somewhere.

LucasHunt

Acolyte
Same! I usually am outlining/plotting/brainstorming a new project while I'm writing one and then putting the finishing touches/submitting a third.

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
Same! I usually am outlining/plotting/brainstorming a new project while I'm writing one and then putting the finishing touches/submitting a third.

I've always been taught that that is how the workflow should well, work. One ready to submit, one being written, and one in development. It's especially important in these days when publishers are looking for the next series. Readers love series.