• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Multiple questions at the same time.

Ok, in a given moment, an overwhelming number of people came to the MC and other and ask a lot of questions at the same time. The way I wrote it is as follow:

'- Why?', '- Is it over?', '- Are we saved?', '- Where is Melian?', '- Are we doomed?' They asked. Lian didn't knew the answer but to one. Melian lay dead in the cold stone steps leading to the temple.

Is that a good way in making it? Or that is a better way I can use to express the flood of questions?

Ireth

Myth Weaver
Here's my stab at it:

Lian winced at the barrage of questions pounding against her ears. Why? Is it over? Are we saved? Where is Melian? Are we doomed? She only knew the answer to one. Melian lay dead on the temple's cold steps.

Trick

Auror
I think Ireth nailed it down for you. Too much erroneous punctuation serves to confuse the reader more than it overwhelms the MC. The only thing I might change is below:

Lian winced at the barrage of questions pounding against her ears.

Why?
Is it over?
Are we saved?
Where is Melian?
Are we doomed?

She only knew the answer to one. Melian lay dead on the cold temple steps.

This is only my opinion of how it might seem more like a barrage of questions so go with what you like best.

Last edited:

SeverinR

Vala
Here's my stab at it:

Lian winced at the barrage of questions pounding against her ears. Why? Is it over? Are we saved? Where is Melian? Are we doomed? She only knew the answer to one. Melian lay dead on the temple's cold steps.

Since you don't know who said it all, you don't have to" " it?
Not saying your wrong, I just would have quoted the questions. Would I be wrong? Are both right?

Trick

Auror
Since you don't know who said it all, you don't have to" " it?
Not saying your wrong, I just would have quoted the questions. Would I be wrong? Are both right?

I think presenting them in a solid line as Ireth did precludes quotation marks. If Asura Levi went with my suggestion quotations might be better suited. I think either are perfectly acceptable.