• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

My First Book (not really)

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
So, I just finished reading Treasure Island to my grandson. It was my third time through, since I was myself a lad. There's an appendix to the book, entitled "My First Book."

It's extraordinary. It's Stevenson telling us how he came to write this particular book, which was indeed the first full-length novel he got published, though it was far from his first work. He was thirty-one at the time, with a very poor publication record and a family to support.

Anyone who is struggling with writing should read this. The essay is about more than just getting published, though. Especially interesting for the fantasy writer is how he was inspired to write it in the first place, and of the importance of a map to the story. And the importance of making backups. :)

Anyway, here's one link to the essay
My First Book: ‘Treasure Island’ at FullReads
But if you don't care for that site, just search on "my first book stevenson" and you'll find others. I got one from Syracuse that let me download it as a pdf.

Oh thank you for doing this for others. I've read books I haven't since childhood and I always find I notice stuff I didn't before. Being read to by your Grandad is the best thing in the world. I remember him reading Wuthering Heights to me when I was seven and the the Hobbit.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
I've been reading aloud for a long time. First was to my wife back when we were much younger. War and Peace was one. Dune another. And LotR and the Hobbit, of course. Can't remember what all else, but I'm sure Martian Chronicles must have been one. Anyway, it was only natural to read to my own kids as they grew up. And now the grandson.

But do take a look at that essay. It very much spoke to me; I hope it does to others.