1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

My Writing Is Paying My Schooling

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Chessie2, Sep 21, 2018.

1. Chessie2

Chessie2 Staff Article Team

This post is meant as encouragement to all of you working hard to hone your craft and become authors who earn money.

I have enrolled in a Veterinary Technician program, which has been a lifelong dream of mine to work with animals. In college, I studied Biology with the intent to attend Veterinary School. Due to life, getting married and becoming a parent, I had to put that dream aside until now. The best part is this: my writing--a combination of my book royalties + ghostwriting contracts will be paying for my monthly school fees. It's amazing and I post this with a most grateful heart.

SO, keep at it! If your dream is to be published and do something fulfilling with your writing, IT WILL PAY OFF. I have been working steadily on my writing for the past 7 years, writing daily, continuing to learn and improve my craft. All of the late nights and hard work is paying off in a major way. In another 1.5-2 years, I will be a certified Vet Tech working with animals (my heart's desire), continuing to uplift my readers through writing romance novels, and most of all contribute a stable and strong wage to my family finances. My husband is proud. My kid is proud. My family is proud. My friends are proud. And this has pretty much happened because of my writing. Were it not for my royalties, I could not afford this program.

It's worth it you guys.

2. Svrtnsse

Svrtnsse Staff Article Team

That's awesome. Congratulations. :D

Chessie2 likes this.
  3. Chessie2

Thank you! I am so very excited!

4. Heliotrope

Heliotrope Staff Article Team

Wow, Chessie! I'm thrilled for you! You have worked so hard over the past few years, you totally deserve this. Congratulations!

Chessie2 likes this.
  5. pmmg

pmmg Auror

Very happy for you chessie. (y)

Chessie2 likes this.
  6. CupofJoe

CupofJoe Myth Weaver

That is impressive. Not just the writing success but going back to school to learn a new skill and career!
    Well done at all levels!

Chessie2 likes this.
  7. Chessie2

Thanks, guys! I feel like I should say that my monthly payment is first of all, affordable. But my family is still in transition from the move and without the extra funds I wouldn't be able to do this. Just felt like I should clarify since I'm not making thousands of $$--the whole point is that you don't need much in order for it to make a difference in your life and writing is what we all love to do anyway.

8. skip.knox

skip.knox toujours gai, archie Moderator

Well done! Congratulations on your accomplishments, Chessie.

Chessie2 likes this.
  9. FifthView

FifthView Istar

This. This is the foundation of my hope, hah. And I'm glad that your experience is proof of concept. (y) Congrats!

My own expenses are minimal. I've kinda built my life around this. So even an extra few hundred dollars a month would make a significant difference. It's like snapping up a part time job, one or two days a week, just for that added benefit.

Of course, like you—I assume!—I'd be very happy if some production of mine suddenly caught major attention and started flying off the virtual shelves at an entirely unexpected rate. But that will be the unsought boon. These smaller gains are greater by far than no gains at all!

Chessie2 and Laurence like this.
  10. Laurence

Laurence Inkling

That’s awesome, great job! Thanks for the inspiration.

Chessie2 likes this.
  11. Chessie2

Smaller is still something. :)

12. Demesnedenoir

Demesnedenoir Istar

Awesome indeed! Vet Tech & writer, good combo.

Chessie2 likes this.
  13. Agam Ridelle

Agam Ridelle Scribe

Thank you for sharing your story. Every once in a while I'm about to give up on writing, and reading stories like yours help.

Chessie2 likes this.
  14. Chessie2

The only way you can fail is to quit.

Agam Ridelle likes this.
  15. Chessie2

Thanks, Des! I just finished my second final in Intro To Vet Tech and scored a B in the class. So far, so good. :)

Demesnedenoir likes this.