• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Names sound very similar to real words

I've invented a language known as the dragon's tougne which in their language is, Drach Mat. Apparently, drachmas is a currency used in ancient greece.

I created a character called Archon, which was a person of high power in Athens (why do my ideas keep ripping off Greek?)

Do you think similarities like these ar minor enough to continue using?

Darron

Acolyte
I wouldn't worry on the drachma thing, but I would tend to watch character's names. Archon isn't the most well known thing, but if you use names tied to important or ancient names people may draw comparison.
Like, if you name someone Cain and he happens to have a brother...people are going to assume bad things will happen at some point even if you have no intention on taking that route.

Mythopoet

Auror
I wouldn't worry on the drachma thing, but I would tend to watch character's names. Archon isn't the most well known thing, but if you use names tied to important or ancient names people may draw comparison.
Like, if you name someone Cain and he happens to have a brother...people are going to assume bad things will happen at some point even if you have no intention on taking that route.

I agree with this. A lot of fantasy readers were primed for seeking out significance in characters names by books like Harry Potter, where names were often clues to the character's nature or function. Like Remus Lupin's name being a clue that he's a werewolf. So you want to be careful with names that have clear meanings or associations if you are not actually intending to utilize those meanings.

K.S. Crooks

Maester
Any word chosen will sound similar to something said in another language. I actually like to place hidden meanings into certain names but not all. It's really all about the feel the name gives with my favourite being Darth Vader, which is by no accident similar to Dark Father.

Last edited by a moderator: