• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Naming a Pro Wrestler (NaNoWriMo)

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
Not sure how many people know anything about wrestling here. Probably no one. But I'm giving this a shot in the dark.

I decided for my NaNoWriMo this year I want to write a story about the weird (and very fantasy-like) world of professional wrestling. I was an independent wrestler in America for four years before moving to Japan, so I have some background. Also years of reading about and watching wrestling has probably made this the most well-researched book I've attempted.

The book is semi-autobiographical, about a wrestler who has never won a single match in his 25 year career. His goal? To win one match.

So, I want the character to have a really stupid name. Like a name that would never help him win championships or become famous. Any help would be appreciated.

These are names I came up with:

"Nothing But Net" Chett Williams: his character used to play basketball (?)
"Too Bad" Terry Tanner: sounds sort of pathetic, but could also reflect that it's "too bad" for his opponent
Otter Ottendorf: named because his last name is similar to otter
Capybara Connely: the idea is that he thought he was naming himself some fearsome, but really
Greg "the Grinder" Gurley: because a grinder is sandwich too, it's sort of silly

Any other names are welcome? By the way, my wrestling name was Phil the Drill...:D

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
I like that name. I have tons and tons of wrestlers in my story already. Do you mind if I use this one or a variation?

Ophiucha

Auror
Admittedly, the only reason I've ever watched any wrestling is because the syphilis channel seems to think I'd rather more of that, or reruns of Stargate Atlantis, to them renewing EUReKA, but personally I am fond of Otter Ottendorf and Greg "the Grinder" Gurley. (Also, Gurley sounds like 'girl-y', so easy smacktalk from the opponents.) Could just be a fondness for alliteration, but pretty much all of the wrestlers I remember the names of have that kind of naming scheme (or rhyming), so I'm leaning towards those.