• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

NaNoWriMo 2017!

Chessie2

Staff
Article Team
Hello! I decided to start an official thread for us since it's practically time, right?

I figured we could post a bit about what we're writing and keep track of our word counts here. The parts in bold are for you to answer about your project as well! Let's encourage and help each other along this month.

It's still early morning for me, just sipping on my coffee and getting ready to start writing my shiny, brand new novel. :D

DAILY GOAL: 1700 words to keep up with the 50k in a month pace. Just do what you can though. Participating in a regular writing habit is really the point of NaNoWriMo.

What I'm working on: Sweethearts & Jazz (Vintage 40's book 2). It's a sweet historical romance set in Portland, 1946. Tropes are coworker and fake relationship romance. It plays off book 1 where the heroine (Lila) was the main antagonist. In this book, she hires the hero (her coworker) to make her ex jealous. It sounds silly but this trope is one of my favorites, lol! They fall in love from all the pretending. Setting is Rex Theatre, where the heroine is the lead in a musical and the hero is a stagehand (her ex-boyfriend/hero from the first book is also a volunteer stagehand). So the backdrop is a playhouse.

Inspiration: The 1940's are some of my favorite historical years. The heroine's inspiration comes from Rosie in When Calls The Heart.

*Your turn!*

Daily Goal: However much I can do each day.
What I'm working on: The sixth draft of my fourth book, Edge of Eternity.
Inspiration: Anything from Doctor Who to Persona 4 to Digimon to...I'd be here all day if I kept going.

Letharg

Troubadour
Hi! I've chosen NaNoWriMo as a motivator to get back into writing after a way too long writing hiatus. So I'm keeping my goals as modest as possible as to not force myself. Last time, writing got to become a chore, killing any fun I'd felt from it. So this time I'm aiming to keep the passion in writing, setting modest goals and not forcing it.

Daily goal: Sit my ass down in the chair once every day and write until the joy starts to subside or time runs out.
What I'm working on: A story set in what for the reader will be a twist setting with a story will twist and turn along with the setting.
Inspiration: Great works in both fantasy and sci-fi which are combined in the setting.

I wish you all good luck and a fruitful November, regardless if you meet the goals you set or if you only end up writing a single sentence.

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
Goal... to not die.

What I'm working on: Ties of Blood and Bone, the sequel to our first book, Faerie Rising. Hoping to have the first draft finished by the end of November, so I should probably get off of Scribes. lol

Inspiration: Ties was actually conceived before Faerie Rising, so it's been years in the making. It first began with a dream of a white-haired wizard woman in over her head and took off from there.

Rebelling it this year again, starting 23,872 words in.

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
I'm off to a crap start. 401 words written at the end of day 1. Got into an argument with someone who wants to be a beta reader, and it throw me off writing for the rest of the evening. It's now 2 am and I'm gonna have a stab at finishing the current chapter.

Fluffypoodel

Inkling
Daily goal: 2,000+
What I'm working on: From the Ashes second draft. the straightforward tale of a man trying to find redemption in his life while the world around him dies. And he tries to stop it.
Inspiration: Lots of things. Epic fantasy and steampunk had a lot to do with it. Aesthetically, its all Final Fantasy though.

I update the progress in the writers work thread so if you're interested in keeping up you'll find a much more detailed accounting over there. Good luck everyone!

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
Yep, I'm in....when I can squeeze in the time. Lot going on in RL. On a brighter note I theoretically have more days off than in the past, hence, (maybe) more writing time.

Goal: Finish what is projected to be a 15-25K novelette or novella by the end of the month. No daily WC goal.

What I'm working on: 'Strange Exit,' a tale that begins 'forty years from now' in a US that has undergone a 'soft apocalypse' - some places normal and filled with content corporate citizens who have lots of high tech toys...and other parts pretty much straight out of the 'Road Warrior,' where warlords rule and civilized folk tread carefully. At the edge of the wastes is a radio station. These days, that's all it is. But, once, it was much, much more. Dark secrets directly connected to the apocalypse linger here, watched over by a caretaker who masquerades as a DJ. But now, those secrets are out. And a criminal wants his cut. Meanwhile, elsewhere, a wanderer seeks to return to earth. All three collide in the Nexus, a realm of bizarre physical properties, immense potential and horror.

Inspiration: Lovecraft, or more specifically short fiction written by those who followed in Lovecraft's literary footsteps.

I might or might not start tonight, couple elements that need contemplating.

I just did an hours worth of work and got 1,684 words in. That is totally doable. And why haven't I been doing that more?

Goal: 1,667

What I am working on: I don;t have a title for the novel, but I am working on a novel about a son, who happens to be a banished angel of death, looking for his son that was kidnapped by a psycho apocalyptic cult. He also may or may not be a banker.

Inspiration: My son, Sanderson, Tolkien, and life, man.

Well, for my first NaNoWriMo, I can say I've written more on the starting day of Nano than ever before!!

Daily Goal: However many words I need to write to make it to 50K by the last minute of the last day of this month.

That won't be an average amount for every day, now by default: I hit 1220 words on Day One.

Seriously, what I feared would happen happened. I didn't know anything about Medieval needlework. The process/tools, not the product. So...some quick(ish) on-the-spot research. And I had to find a few names I could be happy using for background characters mentioned in passing. And I had to get into the feel of this story. The first 500 words or so took about 4 of the 6 hours I spent at the keyboard on the project. Then the rest flowed rather quickly. Finished scene one of the rough.

What I'm working on: Something I suspect will be longer than 50K by the end of it, so probably not finished this month, but I won't know that until much later into the month. Working title is The Severing Legacy. It's a coming-of-age character/family drama sort of thing—that involves an expansionist kingdom's royal family and its not-heir, not-spare third son trying to have a place in his family, then trying to survive his family, all the while facing the decision of choosing between his family and a rebel group. While also trying to come to terms with his own identity, of course.

Inspiration: Peter Pan. More specifically, this song: Lost Boy. No joke, I'd been listening to that song on my iPhone several times a day for a week or two when I realized I had to write something like what that song made me think and feel. But the story morphed and evolved in the weeks after that, becoming something with a bit of Frankenstein, too. And, more generally, other aspects of dark fantasy.

Last edited:

Chessie2

Staff
Article Team
1500 tonight: I was 500 words shy of my daily goal (which is 2k--1700 being the NaNoWriMo goal). Reasons? Work and everyone cramming into the computer space at night when I was working. I basically have decided not to write at night anymore. No one effing understands. So I'm going to bed early tonight and getting up at 6am from now on before I lose my cool around here.

Also, I'm not really feeling my NaNo project. I have a serious case of "I can't write anything that isn't ready to be written yet". It's terrible. I want to write what I want to write even though I'd make more money if I just wrote one thing. I'm selfish.

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
850 words. Introducing Diane, the DJ of 91.13 'The Curse' - and Caretaker of the mothballed installation beneath the station. She did an artful putdown of 'Boss' Percy Galt, a neighboring warlord.

Tomorrow, Max, a former employee of the station who gleaned an inkling of its true nature, which inspired a plan far more foolhardy than he realizes. But, desperate people do desperate things.

Names have significance.

Rkcapps

Sage
My goal: 1000 words a day

What I'm working on: the upteenth draft of my third book. I'm just over 50,000 so I'm using the discipline of NaNoWriMo to finish it. Working title Fledgling. I'm yet to par down to the nut and bolts and write a pitch.

Inspiration: Pride and Prejudice, but in a fantasy setting.

Chessie2 I understand the "work" thing. I worked a little over 8 hours yesterday before coming home to sit 6 hours at my keyboard. I probably could have hit the daily Nano mark if I'd kept writing, but I had another early morning coming so I stopped at the end of the first scene. Seemed like a decent place to stop, given those other factors. I still ended up getting less sleep than normal.

I usually wake fairly early to brew a pot of coffee and imbibe it while playing my daily Hearthstone quest. This is my wake-up ritual. After this weekend, once I discover whether I can rely on weekends to make up for the daily workday loss in word counts, I may give up Hearthstone for some early morning writing.

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
Okay, I'm formally in:
Daily Goal: 2,500 words - I'm currently off work on unpaid leave in order to focus on my writing so this should be doable.
What I'm working on: The Lost Dogs series. I'm about to finish the second draft of part 1, and I intend to finish the first drafts of parts three and four this month.
Inspiration: Kitty Norville, Harry Dresden, Neil Gaiman, Tove Jansson - music, lots of music.

Chessie2

Staff
Article Team
I guess there aren't going to be any cabins this time?
There aren't cabins in the November NaNoWriMo. Only in spring and summer.

Sitting down to write now. Went back to my WIP because hell, I couldn't even get into chapter 1 of the 1940's romance. I'm not ready to write that one just yet. So back to fantasy it is.

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
There are just over 20 minutes left until midnight here, but I need a break so I'm tallying up today's words now. 1,358 total. Not particularly good, but I finished chapter 11 for this draft. Next chapter will be the big action scene of the story, where the hero gets to fight the (not particularly) bad guy in exciting and bloody combat.

The real enemy is the main character's inner beast which desperately wants to win the fight, while my MC knows in his human mind and heart that he has to lose it in order to secure a future for himself and his best friend and her daughter and grandson.

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
About 725 words yesterday and just now sitting down to work at 8pm after a long day of distractions, but we have a new DSL jack in the new office and I am fully online. Put on my new Skullcandy head phones and I can't hear anything but my writing list. Heaven. Let's see what I can do!