• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

NaNoWriMo 2019 Word Counts

A topic for this years word counts. After all, all support is welcome :)

Mine after day 1: 1.711

So for now, I'm ahead of the curve. Of course, I have a bunch of friends visiting this weekend, sports on Monday and another friend coming over on Tuesday. So we'll see where we stand somewhere next week. But at least it's a start.

Danskin

Scribe
I’m doing it too. Got 3400 first day but will be slower going over the weekend.

I’m using it to do the last of a 5-book series this year, which in some ways cut down the planning but also increased the complexity!

Day two will be a lot less impressive.

149 so far.

Not unexpected though. I didn't actually have any time to write during the day and friends are visiting tonight. So still a win ;)

Yora

Maester
I'm still planning out my scene structure. I approach writing as "measure twice, cut once". I first need a plan before I can start writing scenes.

So 0. :(

Firefly

Troubadour
I got 1680 words yesterday.
The Nano website seems to have changed their daily goal/projections/thing because it set my goal for the day at 1700-something words.

I was disproportionately angry about this.

Haven't done my words for today yet, though I did do a little planning for the scene, which I also did yesterday and seemed to help a lot.

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
1073 for the day. Getting over bronchitis and a sinus infection, so slow going so far. Hopefully, I'll speed up soon.

A better day for me today. 1409

This brings me up to 3177. Which after 3 days puts me just above my personal goal of 1.000 per day average, but it does leave me a bit short of the official NaNo goal.

Still, better then I expected before the weekend started. I managed to get more written today then I thought I would. We'll see if I can keep it up.

Danskin

Scribe
Well done folks! My weekend was a little slow with family time, but I have stayed on track and edged above 10k today.

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
No words yesterday, but I kid you not, I wrote a chapter today that came out to 1337 words. I'm very amused.

MrNybble

Sage
This year I'm trying a new approach. Going to edit my massive rough draft collection instead of adding to it. Got about 8000 words done so far. If I get to 50k by the end of the month that with about %6 of my rough drafts edited.

Firefly

Troubadour
I got exactly 1667 words today. The website says I still need 23 more, but that is a huge nope.

I've gotten around 1700 words for the last couple days, but not much over, which means I'm still not even close to caught up for Sunday.

Writing 1600 words is a lot harder when you're trying to write a workable first draft than when you're just starting out and only care about consistency and getting down words. I'm pretty sure I've spent 3+ hours a day writing, every day, so far, which is a LOT for me. It's exhausting. Though I will say it's INCREDIBLY satisfying seeing my page count grow so quickly so fast.

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
2817!!! I'm feeling a bit better and wrote a chapter and a half. My writing speed is finally improving and I might just make 50K yet!

I got 1.734 yesterday. Good speed. Still 130 or so short of what I need on average to reach 50k by the end of the month. But so far I'm up to 6.786. Yes, it's about half of where I should be. But it's about where I hoped to be when aiming for 1.000 words per day. And the busiest days of the month are behind me. I've got one more day where finding writing time will be difficult. But the rest of the month should be manageable.

wow. Impressive. That speed should put you way over 50k by the end of the month.

Danskin

Scribe
Made it to the halfway point, folks! 26k.

So pleased with how it’s going. Using the Scrivener app has been a big help this year, as has writing on the train with my privacy laptop screen.

I hadn’t planned scene by scene so I though it was going to be much tougher to do, but in fact with the main characters and ending already decided, I’ve just been writing hard to get the events wrapped up.

Firefly

Troubadour
Haven't done well this weekend, I've reached the end of my partial outline and only got about 700 words each the last few days. Trying to figure out what comes next, but there are a lot of tangly plot problems that have come up so I'm not sure I'll be able to keep up the NaNo pace for the rest of the month.

oh well. I love the satisfaction of winning, but sometimes I need to remind myself that NaNo is just a tool and the story is more important than the wordcount.

918 for me yesterday. My speed is picking up again.
oh well. I love the satisfaction of winning, but sometimes I need to remind myself that NaNo is just a tool and the story is more important than the wordcount.
Very much this. Over on the NaNo forum there's a few threads about how you can easily inflate your wordcount. Almost all suggestions are things that will need to be edited out at a later point. It feels very strange to me to write like that. It's a personal challenge, there's no prize at the end, and the whole point is writing a novel (sort of). If you know at the start that you'll toss out half the words then why bother.