• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

NANOWRIMO Prep Month

Okay folks, next month is Nano prep month. I need to pick a novel to prep. I want to poll the audience to get their thoughts on this.

1) A novel about a dimension hopper who is trying to clear her name of a murder she didn't commit while also trying to prevent the apocalypse.

2) story about a guy who eats ghost, is raising an orphaned boy by accident, and is trying to prevent a ghostly apocalypse.

3) story about a magic assassin trying to re-kidnap a prince he already kidnapped and took somewhere else. Magic assassin can control light and shadows.

4) Story about a real world attorney trying to win a case wherein a friend offered her soul as collateral.

5) story about a world where an interest in property (like land) gives you magic.Three story lines 1) an attorney 2) a politician and 3) a soldier.

Which one do you like most and why?

Daisy

Ooo, I'd definitely love to give that first idea a read, if you do write it. I think the dimension hopping aspect sounds really interesting - a quest taking place over several realities. It can make for really complex narratives, and depending on how you weave that in with the mystery part of the murder could be amazing. Honestly, if you really figured out how to weave that entire narrative and properly played up the intricacy and the mystery, but also the pure exhilaration and wonder of being able to cross between realities, I would pay to read that story.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
I totally missed this thread before.

1) A novel about a dimension hopper who is trying to clear her name of a murder she didn't commit while also trying to prevent the apocalypse.

2) story about a guy who eats ghost, is raising an orphaned boy by accident, and is trying to prevent a ghostly apocalypse.

3) story about a magic assassin trying to re-kidnap a prince he already kidnapped and took somewhere else. Magic assassin can control light and shadows.

4) Story about a real world attorney trying to win a case wherein a friend offered her soul as collateral.

5) story about a world where an interest in property (like land) gives you magic.Three story lines 1) an attorney 2) a politician and 3) a soldier.

1 both interests me and confuses me because I don't know why anyone would pursue a dimension hopper across so many dimensions.

2 doesn't sound like anything special.

3 - rekidnap a prince could be really interesting but I can't say that without knowing why. Assassin plus prince was just done (since your post) in the Dragon Prince show on Netflix. But this rekidnap thing, there's potential there, depending on details not listed here.

4 was done in a Simpsons halloween episode. Homer sold his soul to the devil for a doughnut, and they had a trial with the dumb attorney. But then they found out it wasn't his to sell because he had given it to Marge in a note on their wedding day.

5 doesn't make sense to me.

So my answer is 1, but I have questions about 3 that if you have good answers for might really be something cool.

I totally missed this thread before.

1 both interests me and confuses me because I don't know why anyone would pursue a dimension hopper across so many dimensions.

In large part, because she is opening the door to bring in extra-dimensional species of reality eaters. The husband murdering thing actually happened because her pursuers merged her dimension with another similar dimension where her husband was murdered, but whoopsies she did kill her husband it just wasn't that her.

2 doesn't sound like anything special.

Would it help if the first chapter had some kid stealing bread from the ghost hunter that was actually spiced with remnants of the ghost hunter's brother?

3 - rekidnap a prince could be really interesting but I can't say that without knowing why. Assassin plus prince was just done (since your post) in the Dragon Prince show on Netflix. But this rekidnap thing, there's potential there, depending on details not listed here.

Pre-book the assassin kidnapped a prince at the behest of some king and delivered the boy to said king. Dad finds out where prince is being kept and hires that same assassin to rekidnap said prince. Religious/political intrigue and monsters ensue.

4 was done in a Simpsons halloween episode. Homer sold his soul to the devil for a doughnut, and they had a trial with the dumb attorney. But then they found out it wasn't his to sell because he had given it to Marge in a note on their wedding day.

In this one the attorney isn't lionel hutz. And he finds out his wife of 10 years, oops she's a witch. Also, magic is real. Also also the Devil takes a liking to him at the end of the book (setting up an eventual book 2 wherein he defends the Devil from some crimes and stuff).

5 doesn't make sense to me.

Well, this one involves three plot threads. The attorney's thread delves into the source of the magic all the while he is trying to protect someone's property interest (and therefore that person's magic) from a corporation that, oops, is actually in cahoots with some bad mamma jammas. The politician has a similar thread but his storyline is about protecting political institutions from governmental intrusions. The soldier is hunting down some monsters that have left their monster land and decided to settle elsewhere and finds out these monsters are actually running from some bad mamma jammas.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
1) Okay.

2) No, that doesn't help.

3) It sounds like a good brainstorming starting point, but I think it's missing something.

4) Maybe if the book demonstrated a high level of legal expertise.

5) That sounds like it could be something pretty interesting.

JGCully

Scribe
I'd go with number 5. Sounds like a lot of scope. What kind of magic? How much interest? Who calculates it and are the richest people by default the most powerful magic users? Definite potential