• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Need Help For Word Documents!

Wesleyflowers2

Hello Friends. This is my first post in this forum. Recently I am suffering from an issue with my computer. Yesterday I saved some word documents from the office on my home computer by pen drive and I can't edit or modify them in any way. I don't understand why this is happening, and how this problem can be solved. Can anyone help me with this?

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
If you can still see the files on the drive, then make a copy of one and see if the copy opens...
And always Eject the pen drive, don't just pull it out...

Chasejxyz

Inkling
It's 2021, you don't need to use pen drives anymore. As you have discovered, there's a lot of inherent flaws in the system. The drive can be damaged or lost, you can remove it wrong from your computer and corrupt a file, they're just really really slow. Use a service like Microsoft OneDrive, Google Drive, Apple iCloud, Dropbox etc to store and access your files. I use OneDrive because it's part of my Office 365 subscription, and JUST the cloud storage part of it is better and cheaper than Dropbox's. It automatically backs up my computer so if anything happens to it, I can restore EVERYTHING. Plus it comes with all the MS Office software, too.

So what exactly do you mean you cant "edit" or "modify" them? Are you able to open the files? If so, just copy/paste the text and put it into a new word doc. You can also "print" the doc as a PDF and then copy from there. You might lose formatting but that's better than losing everything. You should also check out this article about Microsoft''s own repairing tools.

Wesleyflowers2

Thanks for replying. I found a solution from here after searching on Google. In fact, the documents I served were in read-only mode. The problem is solved only after disabling it.