• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Need some help with covers

BWFoster78

Myth Weaver
Okay, I made a decision about my cover being a portrait before completely turning a 180 and decided to make it icons instead. Then I saw the cover art for Terry Ervin's book Flank Hawk and changed my mind again.

The artwork popped as a thumbnail and killed at full size. I made my final decision: I can have what I want with the portrait and still have it stand out as a thumbnail. (Yay me!)

Now, here's the question:

Regarding my desire to do POD, the artist said:

I haven't done any wrap-around layouts for standard publication.

and

Does your POD service have a wrap-around cover template? Will it require my design work?

Truthfully, I have absolutely no idea what a wrap around cover template is. Do I need her help on it?

I'm thinking the portrait on the front, big text of the book title on the spine, and text on the back. Any better ideas?

Thanks for the assist.

Brian

Steerpike

Felis amatus
A wrap-around cover template is a template that includes the entire front, spine, and back of the book as a single sheet. That sheet then wraps around the bound book with the appropriate portion on the front and back covers and on the spine.

If you only want the image on the front, and just text on the spine and back, then it doesn't sound like you'll need the help of your artist on the wrap-around cover. She'll be helpful to you if you want to have an image on the front that extends over the spine and onto the back.

BWFoster78

Myth Weaver
I think that's what I want. I'm trying to visualize it. I think that a portrait on the front is fine. I'm assuming you can upload a jpg for each section or something?

Steerpike

Felis amatus
Yeah, I think you can do that. Or, if I remember correctly, I've seen some where one single image is uploaded, spanning the entire template. In that case, the artist has to see the template so the image can be created with the desired layout in mind, because when the image is uploaded, it is going to spread across the front, spine, and back according to how the template is set up.

BWFoster78

Myth Weaver
Okay. I'll look at some of the books on my shelf tonight to try to get a better idea of what I want.

Thanks.

TWErvin2

Auror
BWFoster78,

My novels only have an image on the front, not wrap around. (Glad you liked the covers. It think the artist did a fantastic job). From my understanding, wraparound covers are a lot trickier to set up when the titlework is added to the art created by the cover artist (things like the thickness of the printed book come into play). It also makes it trickier to put printed information along the spine and on the back of the novel (limits fonts and colors that stand out well enough). The artist should be aware of this when creating the cover art.

Looking at books on your shelf will certainly give you a better idea of exactly what you're looking for.

Having solid cover art, especially with fantasy, makes a difference in sales. I cannot say from the thumbnails and such, but experience and conventions, festivals and other book events, good covers encourages potential readers to stop and consider/look closer.

Like Steerpike indicated, if you provide the information to the artist, he/she should be able to work within those specifications.

Good luck moving forward!

BWFoster78

Myth Weaver
I like the picture on front and text on side and back best. The wrap around picture doesn't do much for me.

Did she do the font for you as well?

TWErvin2

Auror
I like the picture on front and text on side and back best. The wrap around picture doesn't do much for me.

Did she do the font for you as well?

No, Christine Griffin created the cover art. My publisher did the titlework, etc. Doing that saves the publisher money.

I know Christine Griffin can do titlework (so I suspect it's something experienced cover artists are familiar with and can do) because she did a rough mockup to show how the title and author name would fit.

BWFoster78

Myth Weaver
Cool. Since I'm self publishing, I'll try to get her to do it.

Thanks again for the recommendation.