• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

New Magic System - The Will

Talhaiarn

Dreamer
Hi all, new magic system idea. Popped in my head and I ran with it.

There is a dimension between different words known variously as The Else, Abyss, The Other. It is a realm inhabited by spirits and from where magic originates. It is separated from the Mortal Worlds but can be ‘perceived’ by those with ‘The Will’.

This is the first prerequisite for magic. Secondly, the ability to draw on the Else to fill one’s (internal power store - no name yet). Thirdly, one must learn the patterns to shape the Will.

The dominant hand draws ‘strands’ from the Else each individual and distinct. The non-dominant hand shapes these into patterns. (One limitation - lose and finger, lose access to a strand). Magic effects, e.g. forming a shield requires specific strands.

There are various power levels determined by how much power one can draw. Furthermore, the speed and intensity of the strands can be controlled with practice.

Draw for too long or too strongly and the side-effects can be felt. As The Else is a realm hostile to life, those who overuse the Will begin to feel symptoms similar to radiation sickness which gets progressively worse the more they abuse their powers.

Patterns can be inscribed onto objects to transfer certain effects onto them, these are determined by the amount of power placed into the pattern - more power equals a longer effect time and intensity.

What do you think? Literally had a brief idea and ran with it, but I quite like it!

Hi all, new magic system idea. Popped in my head and I ran with it.

There is a dimension between different words known variously as The Else, Abyss, The Other. It is a realm inhabited by spirits and from where magic originates. It is separated from the Mortal Worlds but can be ‘perceived’ by those with ‘The Will’.

This is the first prerequisite for magic. Secondly, the ability to draw on the Else to fill one’s (internal power store - no name yet). Thirdly, one must learn the patterns to shape the Will.

The dominant hand draws ‘strands’ from the Else each individual and distinct. The non-dominant hand shapes these into patterns. (One limitation - lose and finger, lose access to a strand). Magic effects, e.g. forming a shield requires specific strands.

There are various power levels determined by how much power one can draw. Furthermore, the speed and intensity of the strands can be controlled with practice.

Draw for too long or too strongly and the side-effects can be felt. As The Else is a realm hostile to life, those who overuse the Will begin to feel symptoms similar to radiation sickness which gets progressively worse the more they abuse their powers.

Patterns can be inscribed onto objects to transfer certain effects onto them, these are determined by the amount of power placed into the pattern - more power equals a longer effect time and intensity.

What do you think? Literally had a brief idea and ran with it, but I quite like it!
I love this idea. Runic Magic mixed with sewing is really cool! I think that maybe storing the power of the Else into a person's heart, or calling the power battery Heart would be interesting. What kind of abilities can the Willed access? You mentioned barriers, but what about offensive magic? Since The Else is a place, maybe have different kinds of spells based on the seasons of the Else or a specific section of the Else. Are leylines what happen when the Else bleeds into the mortal world? Are there Fey/Elemental type creatures that inhabit the Else? What are they like? So many cool things that can be done just by asking those kinds of questions? And screw realism, just answer the question with the first thing that pops into your head and roll with it!

Talhaiarn

Dreamer
I love this idea. Runic Magic mixed with sewing is really cool! I think that maybe storing the power of the Else into a person's heart, or calling the power battery Heart would be interesting. What kind of abilities can the Willed access? You mentioned barriers, but what about offensive magic? Since The Else is a place, maybe have different kinds of spells based on the seasons of the Else or a specific section of the Else. Are leylines what happen when the Else bleeds into the mortal world? Are there Fey/Elemental type creatures that inhabit the Else? What are they like? So many cool things that can be done just by asking those kinds of questions? And screw realism, just answer the question with the first thing that pops into your head and roll with it!
Hi thanks for the reply!
I’m not so sure on the effects as of yet, I did think combing strands forms standard fantasy tropes like fireballs, but we will see!
Ooo I like the leylines idea and yes there are ‘inhabitants of the Else’ but these are more eldritch spirits/demonic entities. The Else is like the space between worlds, the Fae-like things have their realm though it is possible to have access between them.

Flight

Dreamer
Interesting idea. What I started pondering is is the part of storing of magic into the caster necessary? I came to think that the magic could be like electricity and the caster would then just channel that power to the pattern weaved. If too much magic is channeled at once then the casters inner 'fuse' would just pop.
Could the creatures in the Else be summoned and commanded or bargained to do the bidding of those with the Will?

Talhaiarn

Dreamer
Interesting idea. What I started pondering is is the part of storing of magic into the caster necessary? I came to think that the magic could be like electricity and the caster would then just channel that power to the pattern weaved. If too much magic is channeled at once then the casters inner 'fuse' would just pop.
Could the creatures in the Else be summoned and commanded or bargained to do the bidding of those with the Will?
Thank you for your reply!
That could help determine the power; the strength of the conduction!

Done a bit of pondering on this and I think the possession route willing/unwilling. The possession of these creatures would make them closer to the Else making it easier to draw much higher amounts of power, but at the cost of perhaps the creature taking over.