New RP Pitches

Discussion in 'Mythic Roleplaying' started by Black Dragon, Dec 16, 2017.

1. Black Dragon

Black Dragon Staff Administrator

It’s a good idea to make sure that people will be interested in your rp before you start it. Potential Game Masters can use this thread to pitch ideas for new Mythic Roleplaying games.

Members are encouraged to respond to the pitches in this thread, expressing their interest in potential games.

See the Mythic Roleplaying instructions here.

2. Nimue

Nimue Dark Lord

Thanks for setting this up, Black Dragon! I suggested an open rp board after I had a few people pm me long after the end of Winds of Ysgard, asking if it was still active (nope) and more than once the follow-up was "how can I start an rp then?" Hopefully this will lower the barrier to entry, so it'll be easier to start small, casual games as well as big structured ones. I've seen this self-organizing format work really well on other boards!

I don't have any game-starting plans of my own right now, but inveterate rp addict that I am, I'd love to check out anything other people come up with. ^^

Black Dragon likes this.
  3. Tom

Tom Istari

It's a shame that Ysgard ended...But I'm looking forward to seeing pitches for other games and possibly contributing some of my own! I have a few ideas floating around, but nothing coherent enough to post yet.

Black Dragon and Nimue like this.
  4. Nimue

Nimue Dark Lord

I agree...thought not only did it end, the world has changed in my mind to something considerably different. I'd use the Valegard/wind & wyrd setting for an rp if I could figure out how that would work--it would be pretty restrictive, and tend towards requiring the passage of time, either under shelter or during travel. In my experience, a good rp setting is one that's readily accessible and adaptable by people for their characters, which sometimes means relying on cliche. *cough*Ysgard*cough*

I'd love to hear if any ideas you have for a game setting, though, absolutely! Also, though I haven't seen IrethIreth around in a while, I feel like her Faerie setting would lend itself to a cool rp jaunt...

Tom likes this.
  5. Tom

Tom Istari

I've been thinking about possibly using my Arilisee world (the setting for the Lute Player and one of my NaNos, Lost in Translation) as an RP setting, since it has a lot of variables that would make for fun roleplaying. I consider it my "sandbox world", and it combines a lot of different storylines that I didn't want to invent new worlds for. Magic, demons, dragons, soul-capturing, golems...it's pretty cool.

Black Dragon and Nimue like this.
  6. Ban

Ban Staff Article Team

Don't know how these things go, but I'm interested to see what will happen. I suggest a far-future post-apocalypse rp. One so far in the future that people have built a romanesque/ancient-style world out of the remnants of the old world, and have almost completely forgotten what the original world was even like.

Black Dragon likes this.
  7. Tom

Tom Istari

Kind of like the setting of The Hunger Games?

8. Ban

Ban Staff Article Team

Never seen those movies. From what I know however, those are rather modern. I was thinking of a world where so much time has passed that modern technology has been completely forgotten. At most people would have mythological tales of 'the gods who could speak with eachother many miles away', or 'the wheel-legged horses'.

Tom likes this.
  9. Nimue

Nimue Dark Lord

Ooooh, the Mediterranean-esque demon setting? Uh, yes! All that sounds terrific...

Banten, your proposal sounds similar to the Obernewtyn series, which I remember reading when I was younger...it was a fantasy-type setting long after a nuclear apolocalypse, with people developing psychic powers and allusions to radioactive land. Wonder how that series ended...

Tom likes this.
  10. Russ

Russ Istari

Reminds me of the legendary and old Horseclans series by Adams IIRC.

There is this classic scene where some of the guys are travelling down the remnants of a highway and they see an ancient sign that says "Lodging, Food, Gas" and begin discussing how polite the ancients must have been to warn their customers that their food gave people gas.

Ban likes this.
  11. Tom

Tom Istari

It also sounds similar to the setting of Marion Zimmer Bradley's Darkover books, which take place on an extrasolar planet thousands of years into the future. Humankind colonized the planet but started a nuclear war, and civilization after the cataclysm has regressed to a Medieval technological level. Her writing never appealed to me, but I always found the concept pretty fascinating.

12. Ban

Ban Staff Article Team

Huh, I was thinking of Canticle for Leibowitz. I guess the concept is rather popular, which should give some nice variety if people would like to play with this idea.

13. Ireth

Ireth Mythic Scribe

*tumbles in* Someone call my name?

Hmm... adapting my Faerie setting for RP is definitely plausible (I've actually been working on a dice-based homebrew with that very concept)! The plot I have in mind (tho I am open to other ideas) is rather horror-ish and involves Lovecraftian beasties unleashed on an unsuspecting and ignorant world. Trouble is I'm not quite finished with skills and such, and still debating whether to add more kith options for PCs (I currently have 8 kiths, plus options for half-bloods and Changelings). So I should probably work on that before starting anything with it here.

Tom, Nimue and Black Dragon like this.
  14. Nimue

Nimue Dark Lord

Oh, that sounds super cool though... If you do have the time to mold it into an rp setting, give us a try!

Ireth likes this.
  15. Ireth

Ireth Mythic Scribe

Will do, definitely!

Nimue likes this.
  16. Legendary Sidekick

Legendary Sidekick The HAM'ster Moderator

I uploaded art for an RP in the works, and since some interest was expressed, I'm happy to run it here if I have enough interest (3-6 players).

It's an off-shoot of Huntress Attack Monster, same d6 system and an all-female cast of PC classes/races... but what I'll do differently is run the game like a series of short stories.

I find that, whether I'm GM or PC, it's too easy for real life to end a game prematurely. When Phil Overby created The Endless Hunt, he had the right idea: run a game that ends! (Ironic that a game with "Endless" in its name is the only game on this site that ended with closure.)

"Maiden Voyage" will be an island-hopping adventure starring six heroines. Nimue's rules are perfect--there won't be any dead players, even from bad die rolls. Luck and decisions will affect the fate of whatever island you're on, but you'll live to learn from and/or regret your mistakes.

There's more to say on this, but since it's my first post in nearly a year, maybe I'll stop here and simply ask: anyone up for RP'ing as a Fairy or Amazon or Tin Maiden or Huntress or Oceanid or some kind of Monstress?

Devor likes this.
  17. Devor

Devor Fiery Keeper of the Hat Moderator

I. Am. Game.

Legendary Sidekick likes this.
  18. Corwynn

Corwynn Master

I'm willing to give this a go.

You're probably right in making a closed-ended story. Far too often, RPs fizzle out before they get very far. It's rather discouraging.

I've considered making an RP myself, but building a world, a story, and a game system is a lot of work, and I rarely have the time and energy these days. Besides, it seems like not many people on Mythic Scribes are into roleplaying. I hope we can get enough players.

Legendary Sidekick likes this.
  19. Legendary Sidekick

Legendary Sidekick The HAM'ster Moderator

I want to run it like The Endless Hunt, which actually had three seasons. It was great because you kept the characters (if you wanted to keep playing) but each season was a fresh start.

So far we have three who expressed interest, including a player from the Paizo site. I have six heroines (player classes/races), and will be very surprised if we have enough people to play all six.