• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

New to the Scribes!

Hi there!

My name is Clayton Wood, and I'm brand-new to this site and forum. I found out about Mythic Scribes on Twitter, and decided to see what it's all about. I'm a fantasy author in my spare time, with 4 books self-published so far. I wrote the Runic Series, a coming-of-age portal fantasy trilogy, and recently finished a new book, Hunter of Legends, a more adult fantasy exploring race, nationalism, and identity.

I loved writing short stories in high school, and always dreamed of writing a fantasy book. But life got in the way, and I abandoned writing, going to college, then medical school, then residency, and then working as a physician. It took nearly two decades for me to return to my childhood dream, and after the birth of my son I decided to write a fantasy trilogy with him as the main character. Thus the Runic Series was born!

After writing all three books - and endless rounds of editing - I decided to send query letters to about 50 agents, hoping to get one to represent me.

No dice.

So I ended up self-publishing my books, and they did well enough to finance audiobook versions of each. I'm currently working on the 4th book in the Runic Series, and the sequel to Hunter of Legends. I've learned a great deal from the *many* mistakes I've made trying to market my books and expand my readership.

It's been a lot of fun, and a way to nurture my creative side...a part of me that the last 13 years in medicine threatened to rot away. I recently attended the World Fantasy Convention in San Antonio, and meeting so many wonderful and helpful people made me realize how important it is to have a community of fellow authors to share ideas and experiences with. So here I am!

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
Welcome, Clayton. I hope you find Scribes to be that community of fellow authors for which you're searching. I agree such communities add much to the life of an author.

And well done one the publishing!

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
Hail and well met Clayton Taylor Wood
Good to have you here.
Community does help a lot.
I'm not as far along the road as some and the people here can do a lot to buoy you up even if the don't know they are doing it.

Welcome from another newbie here, and I hope you will find lots of interesting things here. I loved to hear that your self-published books are doing well, that is such an inspiration! Have a great writing winter and good luck with the new book. :)