• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Nice to meet all of you!

Jay_Ehm

Scribe
Hi Mythicscribes!

I am an illustration student who just finished his sophomore year of college. I have two fantasy worlds/stories I work on at the moment; one is more for fun while the other is one I'd love to turn into a full-blown comic. The project that is more for fun is what I call the World of Tale, which features a group of average characters who work together to find the pages of a godly storyteller's masterpiece. The other more serious one is a project I started in illustration class about a royal family who personally defend their kingdom from terrifying witches as part of their Noblesse Oblige. These witches are more like very large and organized biker gangs than typical Halloween witches, and they formerly ruled over the kingdom before the ancestor of the royal family defeated them. Now the witches' descendants are coming back to cause trouble. I'll probably make more posts about these works as I get into ruts or situations where I need to ask questions.

As for my interests aside from illustration and storytelling, I like animated cartoons and series quite a bit. I am a big fan of Avatar: The Last Airbender and Legend of Korra. Currently, I am watching the Funimation dub of One Piece, and I'm in the middle of the battle at Arlong Park as of this post. I also like reading, going on nature walks, and dinosaurs. This year's and last year's dino discoveries have been an amazing source for creature inspiration! I keep as up-to-date on dinosaurs as I can, and if you find any cool articles on dinosaurs feel free to send them my way!

I suppose my flaws when it comes to developing stories are getting sucked into worldbuilding more than I should be and biting off more than I can chew when it comes to the scope of my stories. Things about my writing that I take pride in are my characterization and imagination. I'm an optimistic person, and that shows in the things I create. Even if I do come up with some tragic and tear-jerking scenes from time to time, I don't usually write or enjoy very dark or brutal stories. Redwall and Tolkien's works are among my favorite fantasy series.

I look forward to meeting you all!

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
Welcome to the forum. This is a fun place where everyone's welcome and we're immensely supportive of new writers who want to hone their craft or get feedback. Be warned...this is a place of procrastination, too. :) That's what i'm doing, currently. Thanks for joining us and hope your stay here is as productive as mine has been. Wow, has it really been four years already? Yeah, time flies in this forum.

Jay_Ehm

Scribe
Pleased to meet you, Caged Maiden! I didn't mention this in my intro post, but I have a Tumblr where I post some of my artwork, doodles, and a short story or two. Sometimes the crowd there can be pretty tough to please, but thankfully I've only had one run-in with the side of Tumblr people tend to be scared of and (I think) it made me a better and more conscious writer as a result. I'm hoping to be extra-productive with my art this summer, so I'll likely be posting work on here as well as Tumblr.

Jay_Ehm

Scribe
Welcome to the forum. This is a fun place where everyone's welcome and we're immensely supportive of new writers who want to hone their craft or get feedback. Be warned...this is a place of procrastination, too. :) That's what i'm doing, currently. Thanks for joining us and hope your stay here is as productive as mine has been. Wow, has it really been four years already? Yeah, time flies in this forum.

Yeah, I really want to be as productive as I can this summer. I post some of my art on my Tumblr, but I'll likely start posting on here as well. I've heard people say things about a certain side of tumblr, but I only had one incident with them and they actually helped me to be a better and more conscious writer as a result. I can't wait to get started on here!

Jay_Ehm

Scribe

Well, I tried to post a link to my tumblr, but every time I try it says a moderator needs to approve of it or something, so I guess that's going to come later. Pleased to meet you, Caged Maiden! I hope to be really productive with my art this summer and I'll probably start posting it here as well as there on Tumblr. I've heard a lot of people say things about a certain side of Tumblr and I did have an incident with that group one time, but they weren't awful to me and actually helped me to be a better and more conscious writer as a result. I guess I ran into some of the nicer ones.

I can't wait to start posting threads on here, as well as helping people out with their work! I will probably be posting an 'ask me about dinosaurs' thread in the next couple of days or so, we'll see.

Tom

Istar
Hey there, Jay! Nice to meet you. I always get excited when another artist shows up! :)

I suppose my flaws when it comes to developing stories are getting sucked into worldbuilding more than I should be and biting off more than I can chew when it comes to the scope of my stories. Things about my writing that I take pride in are my characterization and imagination. I'm an optimistic person, and that shows in the things I create. Even if I do come up with some tragic and tear-jerking scenes from time to time, I don't usually write or enjoy very dark or brutal stories. Redwall and Tolkien's works are among my favorite fantasy series.

This sounds a lot like my writing style. I get sucked into worldbuilding too, to the point where I have more worldbuilding notes than actual story. I'm also far too ambitious for my own good--I can't tell you how many major projects I've leapt into, only to get burnt out in the middle of them.

I also like to think that characterization and imagination are my strong suits. I love coming up with new characters who think and act in fresh new ways, and portraying all the many facets of humanity. What attracted me to writing fantasy was the imagination. The sky's the limit--whatever you can dream, you can write.

Unfortunately, I'm something of a natural cynicist. I write a lot of dark fantasy, with some very brutal themes. I don't think I've ever shared my darker work here, though.

I've never read Redwall, but I love Tolkien. Right now I'm in the middle of The Silmarillion. It's so beautiful. I love the ancient, mythic feel to it and the richness of the description.

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
Hail and well met Jay_Ehm
Nice to have you here.
You can't let yourself get sucked in to world-building.... You have to dive in and wallow in the glory of it... or is that just me...

T.Allen.Smith

Staff
Well, I tried to post a link to my tumblr, but every time I try it says a moderator needs to approve of it or something, so I guess that's going to come later.
Your link is approved.

The system gives the moderation team some time to check out links posted by new members. It's meant to keep unsavory links from being posted without immediate knowledge of the staff.

Welcome to Mythic Scribes, Jay.

Jay_Ehm

Scribe
Ha, now I have three posts that all pretty much say the same thing all in a row. Thanks for approving those posts, and even if those identical posts look like spam now I promise it wasn't intentional. I just didn't know what was going on, and thanks for letting me know about link posting so I can be aware of that in the future.

Jay_Ehm

Scribe
Hey there, Jay! Nice to meet you. I always get excited when another artist shows up! :)

This sounds a lot like my writing style. I get sucked into worldbuilding too, to the point where I have more worldbuilding notes than actual story. I'm also far too ambitious for my own good--I can't tell you how many major projects I've leapt into, only to get burnt out in the middle of them.

I also like to think that characterization and imagination are my strong suits. I love coming up with new characters who think and act in fresh new ways, and portraying all the many facets of humanity. What attracted me to writing fantasy was the imagination. The sky's the limit--whatever you can dream, you can write.

Unfortunately, I'm something of a natural cynicist. I write a lot of dark fantasy, with some very brutal themes. I don't think I've ever shared my darker work here, though.

I've never read Redwall, but I love Tolkien. Right now I'm in the middle of The Silmarillion. It's so beautiful. I love the ancient, mythic feel to it and the richness of the description.

I'm not completely opposed to dark stuff, there were some absolutely brutal and intense scenes in Mad Max:Fury Road and I thought that movie was awesome! I'm a pretty big fan of action movies in general, and my favorite band, Kamelot, sometimes writes songs about some pretty depressing subject matter. I'd still read your writing if you wanted me to, even if it was just to look it over.

I personally really love the Redwall series more for its nostalgic value for me than for its themes or how it is written. It was the series that got me writing in the first place, but it does have very rigid and sometimes frustrating black-and-white morality, as well as some very difficult to read phonetic accents. The moles in the book (yeah, it's about a bunch of woodland animals that live in an abbey that seems to get attacked by evil rats and weasels every week for some reason) are infamous for their difficult-to-read accents. I definitely don't write out my characters' accents except for little hints here and there because of that.

Reactions: Tom

Laurence

Inkling
Hey Jay,

As a fellow designer/illustrator I really look forward to seeing some more of your work! Have you begun a cover design for your own novel at all?

Jay_Ehm

Scribe
Hey Jay,

As a fellow designer/illustrator I really look forward to seeing some more of your work! Have you begun a cover design for your own novel at all?

I haven't thought of a cover design for the potential comic(s) yet, but I hope to at least try making a cover this summer! Sorry I didn't respond sooner, I hadn't been checking this thread the past couple of days.