1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

Nissa's Side-Trek

Discussion in 'Dragon's Egg RPG' started by Legendary Sidekick, Jul 25, 2014.

1. Legendary Sidekick

Legendary Sidekick The HAM'ster Moderator

((PlotHolioPlotHolio, SP's cool with us RP-ing a bit before his post. If you want to, feel free to have your character see Nissa and interact. Here's what your fighter sees:

Nissa, a tiny, winged woman, youthful in appearance, flies from Arendal struggling to carry a backpack in flight. She lands to rest, dropping the pack first, then kicking off boots that are way too big for her little legs. She is barely over two feet tall, and slender, built more like a tiny human than a halfling or dwarf, and dwarfed by both races.

@Keit, if Batos followed, I'm being intentionally vague about when Nissa rests. She might be halfway from the store to where Batos waits if he's just outside of town. She might only have stopped to readjust her grip. So we can work Batos into the RP here if you want him to have followed Nissa as Baldy suggested.))

Nissa

What was I thinking? Carrying all this stuff? Why did Baldy invite her anyway? I thought she talked Dalla out of coming. Doesn't anybody wonder why Dalla brought a knife to sword-fight?

I take one look back at Arendal. I'll miss this place… but I'm happy to move on. Now, how can I rearrange all this stuff so I won't crash-land from exhaustion?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2017
  2. PlotHolio

PlotHolio Sage

((Roderick is average in almost every regard; the kind of man you'd pass on the street and not give a second glance. His complexion is ruddy, his eyes are slightly sunken, and his nose is just a little too long for his face. His dark hair is receding in an unflattering way, leaving him with an oddly shaped widow's peak just above where his hairline should be. He's only twenty-eight, but people treat him like he's forty. He gives the impression of a man who hates everything and everyone, but is too tired to care.))

Roderick

I haul my pack over my shoulders and strap on my weapons, only half-listening to the annoying man in the too-bright, frilly green tunic.

"...and that thing with the stein! Splendid! I expected a common thug and I got an extraordinary one, instead! Examplary..."

The weight of gold in my hand felt good. It wasn't much, but I'd blown most of my savings on a fine new set of chainmail, so I needed the cash. Worth it, in my opinion, but people like this guy--David, pronounced Da-VEED as he liked to remind people every chance he got--never understand why I don't throw away my money on wine and women.

"...tear their faces off, and send them to the physikers..."

I hate this place. I really need to get out of here. I don't care if I get paid or not; I have enough gold to last me a few weeks. I filter David out entirely. It's too nice a day to deal with him. The birds are singing. The grass is gently swaying in the fields. A tiny woman with wings just landed a short distance away, carrying twice her weight in what looks like someone else's stuff.

Wait, what?

I turn to David. "David," I say.

"It's Da-VEED," he replies, his tunic rippling in the warm breeze.

Gods, I hate that tunic. "I have to go. My new employer is waiting for me."

"What?" He turns to look at the tiny woman, then turns back to me, then back to the tiny woman, then back to me. "Wait... don't... is that a tiny woman with wings? There's a tiny woman with wings over there!"

"Yeah, whatever. Listen, it's been fun, and If you ever need anything, get somebody else to do. Bye."

I leave him stammering and stroll over to the tiny woman.

"Don't say anything," I grunt between clenched teeth. "Just act like you know me until that green thing over there goes away."

Last edited: Jul 25, 2014
  3. Legendary Sidekick

Nissa

"What!" I see a man in a garish outfit, and the man before me clearly doesn't like the other guy. But why should I care? "You must be jo—" Or maybe he's not joking. "…king." Are they robbing me? Or is baldy—not my Baldy; male-patterned-baldy—just looking to get away from the other man? I suppose if he were a threat, he wouldn't walk away from one he can simply punch out. "Joe King! Good old Joe. Long time no see, Old Joe. Why I haven't seen you since I died and became a valkyrie!"

I let the phrase sink in for a moment. If they're here to rob me, I can call the militia. I'm unarmed and unable to fly fast with all of this crap, so there's no risk if I…

"But now that you're here, Sir King…" I mutter, "or whatever your name is," then go on. "…you can help your pal Nissa carry these heavy things…" How to motivate? "…away from that guy." I point northwest, which is away from that guy.

4. Keitsumah

Keitsumah Inkling

Batos

I watch Nissa struggle with her load from the trees, but dance around the edge, nervous and unable to get close. I don't want to dawdle around while Keitsumah is away from me.

But when she is approached by a strange man my patience snaps. I take several steps out from the forest and bark at Nissa to get her attention. If the man glances my way i puff up and make myself look as big as possible, ears alert and eyes keen on his face. I can feel the old scars on my shoulder and side bulge, my white fur bristling. Is he intent on harming her?

My lip curls back at the idea and for a second i almost wish he is. Then i have some excuse to fight. I have too much pent-up energy from the last fight and I keep expecting another army of water demons to pop out of nowhere. But no matter how many there are, i will fight to the bitter end to protect the others if that is what is needed.

But for now, i pad at the edge of the forest back and forth, back and forth, ears cocked for any sound of alarm.

5. PlotHolio

PlotHolio Sage

Roderick

I raise my eyebrow at the tiny woman--Nissa, I think she said--keeping one eye on the animal that just emerged from the woods. "Sure," I say, swinging the backpack over my shoulder with casual ease. "My name is Roderick, by the way." I scratch my chin with my free hand. "I heard some talk of a valkyrie after that mess in town. Would that be you? Didn't actually see anything, mind. I spent most of that night trapped in a wine cellar with milady." I shoot a glance at David.

6. Legendary Sidekick

Nissa

The man carries my things. Greeny doesn't follow. I guess I helped him and he's helping me. No worries, then?

"Why, thank you." We walk about twenty feet, and Batos emerges from the trees. "Ah, there's my ride." I mount Batos, side-saddle. "No worries, Batos. But there may be a possible change of plans, at least for the moment. This is Roderick, a perfect gentleman."

Looking at the man, I say, "Pleased to meet you, Roderick. I am Nissa van Donk, valkyrie and talk of the town. But if you've only heard of me, it also seems you wasted your talent. You could've been killing fish demons." I look up at a hilt protruding from its sheath. "Not that I fault you. Are you a bodyguard? For him?" I gesture in Greeny's general direction.

"And… I heard some of what you said to that man. New employer, you called me, in order to make your escape. Are you truly looking for work?"

7. PlotHolio

PlotHolio Sage

Roderick

"I could be. I'm a mercenary by trade. Protection is only part of what I do," I say, still keeping a wary eye on the wolf. Did it really understand her, or was it just well trained? "And I did kill some fish demons. I was staying at the inn when they attacked, listening to some chatter about a demon priest or what have you.

"My armor and weapons were upstairs. David had already hired me to watch over some shady deal he was supposed to be taking part in, so when he made a break for the cellar, I had to follow him. I spent the rest of the night defending him and the serving wench with naught but a broken shortsword and an ale stein."

I recall the smell of fish and crinkle my noise. "Got stiffed, too. David paid me my standard price; no bonus for fish monsters. And the wench... she kept screaming, like she didn't even need to breathe."

I roll my eyes. "That racket probably attracted more of the damned things than anything else."

8. Legendary Sidekick

Nissa

"Oh, yes. I suppose they were everywhere. You must've been aiding the militia men, then, so we missed each other. I was in the caves until… well, war stories can wait. Only three fell that night. Two died, but they saved the children. I couldn't save those brave, elderly men, but I patched up Gisla's wounds, thankfully. She follows Brynhild. That's who I work for."

((Gisla: one-armed innkeeper, a woman in her 50s, strong than any of the militia men—Rod wouldn't have seen her in that battle, but he'd know her if he's from Arendal or stayed at the inn. Brynhild is the goddess of battle.))

"Goddesses don't reward in coin, so I'm afraid I can't pay better than David. Don't let my shopping trip fool you. I normally wouldn't use money, or show my wings in public for that matter. I am assigned to protect my goddess' only nun, and a there is a lady traveling with her who was in need of gear. I offered to get the gear so the rest could move ahead." I pat Batos. "I was going to have Batos help me carry the things back. I can fly faster than people walk, and Batos is faster.

"I don't know how far you're willing to carry all that, but I'll bet you can out-pace the group. The woman in need of these is Dalla, the tailor's daughter. She'll slow the procession. And don't ask why she's with us. The nun I mentioned killed her boyfriend, an arrogant, homicidal prick who shoots a woman from afar then winks at her like it was a joke. He deserved to get his throat slit. And Dalla… she's a nice girl, and her mother, too—made me this wonderful dress without even charging me! But why Dalla joined our fight… well, it's complicated.

"Complicated and stupid. I mean, take you for example. You have armor and weapons. You already know how to use them. If you heard the world might come to a stop and wanted to do something about it, then you joining would make sense. Plus, if you have a dead ex-girlfriend, I can guarantee no one in our group killed her. Well, unless you used to date a harpy or naga."

9. Keitsumah

Keitsumah Inkling

Batos

Or lizards for that matter. At mention of harpies and nagas, the taste of fresh blood floods my mouth and i lick the outer edge of my teeth to feel their sharp points. Having Nissa on my back no longer feels quite so strange now that she has decided to not drop on me out of the air for no apparent reason, and I'm closer to the newcomer.

I turn my head to sniff at him, then wrinkle my nose in distaste. Someone must've pissed themselves wherever he came from. He reeks But i know scent isn't a complete jugde. I tilt my head back, walking toward the woods as i do so, and get a closer look at him. He seems fit enough, although in my opinion Cadell may be a more trustworthy ally. I simply don't know this man's skills yet.

Brynhild help him if he proves useless in first combat. But his words prove inspiring. Let's hope his bark equals his bite. I gnash my teeth together and make a chuffing sound in my chest, close to a wolf version of a laugh.

10. PlotHolio

PlotHolio Sage

((This is my last post for the night. I need to go to work in seven hours. I will be back sometime tomorrow evening.))

Roderick

"I have enough money to last me for a month or so," I say, electing not to comment on anything else Nissa said. For a valkyrie, she sure can talk. Isn't Brynhild supposed to be taciturn? I suppose servants of goddesses don't have to share their traits. I would probably worship Brynhild if I were a woman, except I'm not. Why am I thinking about this?

"How far are your companions?"

11. Legendary Sidekick

Nissa

"Maybe we'll catch up within the hour if you like to jog. Why? How badly do you wish to get away from David the Green?" I like Batos as my steed. I can look at the man while we move without worrying about crashing into a tree. "I mention the world coming to a stop and you don't hesitate to follow!

"It's the wings, isn't it? You a religious man, by any chance? I'm not implying it's a must—just making conversation."

12. PlotHolio

PlotHolio Sage

Roderick

"Not religious," I say. "I just don't have anything better to do." Not to mention I don't really believe you. Either way, a change of pace will be good, and I haven't felt a rush like that fish fight in years. It will be good to test myself against truly strong opponents after spending so much time as a glorified strongarm.

13. Keitsumah

Keitsumah Inkling

Batos quirks an ear at that but otherwise does nothing, and instead scents the air, on the alert for anyone else strange.